No announcement yet.

Amend separation agreement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get ready... The other lawyer is going to balance anything that is in your favor. Ultimately, the person with the deepest pockets often wins in family law. Be very mindful that he probably has had silent legal counsel in the background reviewing materials and is now going to put them front and center to drive up legal costs. Typical mode of operation when there is such an income discrepancy.

Its common to see this happen these days. Its also very sad our legal system works this way.
    Last edited by Tayken; 10-24-2021, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Which is why I say ask your lawyer to send the docs without reviewing and you will book an appointment to discuss/give direction.

If the other lawyer wants to be a dick then you can respond with a request for backdated support.

Comment

When we were working through the agreement before, my ex, self represented would reply to my lawyers emails, but also he would CC myself in the response. My lawyer would immediately respond to myself, point by point with her opinions and suggestions, in detail. (paragraphs...) At this point I had already had an opinion if how I wished to respond. I would then reply by email to my lawyer with how I wanted each item handled.

I can see now it's kind of double billing. In the end I realize she would be obliged to offer her perspective on each item anyhow. But ya there was a lot of back and forth and that gets costly.

I think the overall idea here is that if my ex, now represented by a lawyer, responds and wishes to change items that we've already worked through, when I was paying for a lawyer and he wasn't....that he already agreed to, then I think it's fair at that point to request the back support.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
          This may not be possible with a lawyer on retention. A retained lawyer has a legal and ethical obligation to review the documents from the other side in their entirety. They do this as well so they are not blindsided by something in the docs that they would have known about if he/she read the docs.

Even if you know what is being said by heart, your lawyer will still insist on walking through your agreement with you so that you understand everything that is in there, what it means, etc. This is to protect themselves so that you don't come back later asking why they did not explain something to you.

Some lawyers will do this. My husband’s lawyer’s practice was to send the documents as soon as they were received and then request to book an appointment. We would review the docs and then set an appointment to meet with him to determine a response. He didn’t review the documents until the meeting. Normally his assistant would scan the document to see if there was an item requiring assistance (ie a request to hold a date for appearance etc.) otherwise there was no action until my husband had reviewed.

Again, Alpinist can speak to her lawyer and ask her about this. I don’t see a need for the lawyer to review the matter without her client and then provide her advice and then do an additional meeting in person or by zoom to do it again. I think that is a bit of overkill and double billing.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinist View Post
            I think the overall idea here is that if my ex, now represented by a lawyer, responds and wishes to change items that we've already worked through, when I was paying for a lawyer and he wasn't....that he already agreed to, then I think it's fair at that point to request the back support.
            Unless you have a pen-and-ink signed agreement any "agreement" you have made may be not an agreement like you think. Until such time that a signed agreement on the item... its still in negotiation even if you are "close" or even in "agreement".

Judge Judy talks about this all the time... (as an example) The four walls of the agreement on a physical paper with both of your signatures and initials on every page is the only thing she cares about...

Comment

Either retain a lawyer to represent you or don't. You can't have it both ways. You can easily do the negotiations yourself and hired a lawyer at the end if you're looking to save money. Why pay for someone, make everything go through them making them liable, then tell them to not review? It's not overkill or double billing at all. Lawyer is served papers, they review, provide you options, then respond accordingly.

Comment

Through the years my ex has tried and tried, different ways in order to avoid having to pay me the offset amount of child support. I don't think he feels the offset amount is fair. He tried to not include certain income and bonuses etc. I had tried to deal with just him, but he sent me email after email with kind of these pressuring tactics and bullying behavior so I would agree to what he proposed. For example he wanted to pay me one huge lump sum payment of child support, etc. He was not disclosing income to me, yet his income had gone up considerably. I got fed up with him. It came to a point where I needed a lawyer badly. If it weren't for my lawyer my ex would never have agreed to paying me this offset amount of child support. It took having to retain a lawyer. Of course he wanted to save money by self representing through this process. Surprisingly.. Although he has quite a bit more money then I do, he doesn't want to spend a dime on literally anything. If I needed a change, it had to go through my lawyer, unfortunately. So that's where I'm at now.

The Judge Judy reference makes complete sense to me. Just crossing my fingers that I can have a finalized and signed agreement soon!

Comment

So here I am now. Since around early September we've had this finalized agreement draft ready for signatures with all the changes we've agreed to. My ex, self represented through the process while I spent thousands with my lawyer reviewing the changes (reasoning above). Early November ex texted to say sorry this is taking so long, he's switching lawyers ad this one was taking too long. I had my lawyer give him a deadline to reply because it's been over 3 months now! This deadline is now past. Crickets. I am getting fed up as this whole process began in January when he so badly wanted the agreement updated so he could claim an Eligible Dependant credit at tax time. This is laughable now because it was all so urgent to him back then.

I think that waiting 3 months for his reply is unreasonable. I know it's my fault that I've spent thousands on legal fees and him nothing. He was under paying me in child support, below the offset amount. He makes triple my income and I have to play this game with him.

Any ideas on how I should proceed? I just want my agreement finalized.
                  He does owe me thousands in back child support..around 10,000 Which I wasn't going to go after because it didn't feel right to do so, but perhaps it is right in this case?

Comment

Do I take him to court? Do I file a motion with the court? Do I request the back support owed? Do I sit around and wait for his reply?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinist View Post
                      Do I take him to court? Do I file a motion with the court? Do I request the back support owed? Do I sit around and wait for his reply?
                      I don't know what changes you had to the agreement.

If your concern is only for child support then fill out the forms for changing it.
                      Form 15; there is a box there for updating an agreement.
                      You will need to know what the right amount of child support is; you will need to know how to calculate it.
                      Apply for the back child support simply because it is something you are obligated to do.

Comment

Child support is now figured out as he is paying me the offset amount and this is correct. We went back and forth figuring out some other items for "finalizing our agreement", such as post secondary expenses for the children, life insurance update and vacation scheduling. We had our draft agreed upon with all the changes, he agreed to the changes but for 3 months has not reviewed with a lawyer. It just needed a signature. The amendments have all been updated and pasted in. Unless all of the sudden hes not ok with what we came up with. The idea was that we both sign and have it finalized.

Yes perhaps the back support, I should just request it as it's what should have been paid all along and it's standard handling

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X