This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a bit of basic help...

I realise that the forums are here to assist, and would urge anyone going through a marriage/relationship breakdown to seek assistance and independant legal advice.

However, as a lot of people bustling their way through the Family Court System are self-representing, I thought I would provide a few invaluable links:

Ministry of the Attorney General of Ontario-family law overview Ministry of the Attorney General - Family Law

Ministry of the Attorney General of Ontario-family court forms
    Family Law Rules Forms — Ontario Court Services

Children's Law Reform Act-deals with access and custody, rules to establish parentage
    Children's Law Reform Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.12

Family Law Act-spousal and child support, possession of matrimonial home, division of property
    Family Law Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.3

Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act-covers powers of FRO
    Family Responsibility and Support Arrears Enforcement Act, 1996, S.O. 1996, c. 31

Divorce Act-federal jurisdiction
    Divorce Act

Reading some of the legislation can be confusing, but you will be more prepared for what is to come if you have a basic understanding of what applies.

Here are some other great places to find case law and information.

CanLII

Supreme Court of Canada - Decisions -

Comment

You can also get recent provincial decisions from:

Judgments

and for court of appeal decisions;

Decisions of the Court of Appeal

Also, if you are appealing a decision, there is:

Self Help Packages

Comment

Thank you for the links, much appreciated

Comment

Yeah, what Spoonz said!

Gary

Comment

Hello,

I know the majority of people on this website are from Ontario but I found this website for New Brunswick and it is awesome.

www.familylawnb.ca

Don't know how to make a fancy link for it, sorry.

I am curious to know how disavantaged one might be if they did choose to represent themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsb View Post
              I am curious to know how disavantaged one might be if they did choose to represent themselves?
              I don't think a person is disadvantaged at all if they are aware of the process and procedures of the court. Having said that, it always depends on the person, the complexities of the situation, and the ability to communicate effectively.

Comment

The only reason I have a lawyer is because it prevents my ex from making an ex parte order.

I know that if I did not have a lawyer, she would have her lawyer make a motion when I was away working, and claim that they tried to serve me but could not find me. Then they could go to court and make up some BS that I would normally be able to counter, and they would get an order that would be hard for me to overturn.

Comment

here is another link that I've sent others recently;

http://www.ontla.on.ca/library/repos...000/245081.pdf

It walks you through the steps in Superior Court (where divorce actions are held), on a step-by-step basis, in laymen's terms (or as close to it as a bunch of lawyers can get!)
                  Last edited by InterprovincialParents; 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM. Reason: more infomation added

Comment

Thank you for all the links... they prove helpful.

Comment

awesome, thanx guys !!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X