Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes

Ok - so many questions.
    After many years and two children, plus some very escalated arguing, my wife has decided she needs to move out. She has rented a house we cannot afford, behind my back, and is now insisting on moving the children there with her part of the time. She said she needed the space in order to work on the relationship through therapy, but I don't think that's really the goal, nor do I feel it's really realistic at this point.
    I've stated that the children should not be ripped from their home in a state of uncertainty where questions would abound about why their parents no longer love each other, when we would love each other again, when they could go back to their home, when their parents would move back together again, etc, further that if things WERE reconciled, it would always be a source of anxiety for them - wondering if their parents were going to move apart again. She disagrees and insists I am wrong because of articles stating separations can be helpful (not involving children).
    She showed me a child custody agreement when she first wanted to do this but I didn't feel comfortable signing this without input of lawyer and/or therapist - both of which have proved impossible to get answers from asap. We have a huge amount of debt incurred due to some previous health issues, etc.
    She has asked me again about taking the kids repeating there is no reason they can't go to this place she rented and now getting her friend in on the action by saying they are going to do a "sleepover" there with the kids. I'm at a loss and not sure what steps to take next.

This is not your first rodeo, presumably you should have a better idea of how this works by now.

What is your goal here? Do you want sole custody, primary residential custody, or 50/50 shared custody? Assuming you are seeking shared custody, create a schedule with her now (I recommend as usual the 5522 schedule) and just start following it.

I understand your caution, last time around you foolishly consented to a country move. I’m assuming you are going to be a lot more careful this time around.

Comment

there is no reason that the kids cannot stay overnight at their moms new place which will more then likely become their home also for 50% of the time. You have no valid reasons for withholding the kids. You both have equal parenting rights.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X