No announcement yet.

Shared custody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Court Challengers program ended in 2006 and offered minimal money anyway. They are funded by private donations.

I am glad you agree that sexism, racism and other forms of inequality still exist and are worthy of our attention to fight against.

The Best Interest of the Children may not always be served by shared parenting. There are parents that pursue shared parenting to reduce CS, or to “punish” their ex, or use it as leverage to reduce their equalization. It is best to have the parties come to an agreement mutually, or,failing that, have the judge decide what is in the best interest of the children with the goal of maximizing parenting time for both parents.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
      The Court Challengers program ended in 2006 and offered minimal money anyway.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cou...gram-1.3970103

The Best Interest of the Children may not always be served by shared parenting.
      That is where the "rebuttable" part comes into play.

There are parents that pursue shared parenting to reduce CS, or to “punish” their ex, or use it as leverage to reduce their equalization.
      There are parents that pursue sole custody to increase CS, or to "punish" their ex, or to use it as leverage to increase their equalization. I'm not sure I get your point. Do you get the concept of a rebuttable presumption?

For example:

Case 1
      Dad: I want shared custody
      Mom: I have proof that Dad is an epic asshole
      Judge: Ok, Mom has sole custody

Case 2
      Dad: I want shared custody
      Mom: I strongly feel that Dad is an epic asshole
      Judge: Well, unless you have some actual evidence, shared custody it is.

Again, unless you are LEAF (or apparantly tilt) nobody in their right mind believes that family court is not horribly tainted by pervasive sexism. A rebuttable presumption of shared custody would go a long way towards addressing that sexism.

Note that a presumption of shared custody does not favour fathers at all... but the fact that women's groups oppose it (and that most father's groups are heavily in favour of it) says a lot about the current state of family law in Canada.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X