Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here, would love a little guidance...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, would love a little guidance...

Good day all.
    I have been trying to do this on my own but can't seem to get started.
    My wife and I have agreed that we want to get a divorce. Everything is amiable between us we just realised that marriage was not what we were hoping for and that we would be better off separate.
    We have no children nor property to divide, so a lawyer is not needed I'm hoping...
    I have done some searching but all seems to point in the direction of a lawyer or buying a $200 guide to divorce. I s there not some documents we can get, sign and hand in and voila?
    We were married in Mexico in 2006 and I sponsored her in Canada as my spouse. However she has rarely been here since 2007, staying a few months at a time as well as me visiting there a few times a year, so basically it's been a long distance relationship that we are deciding to end, just never should have gotten married.
    Any pointers in the right direction?
    Thanks all.

I wouldn't bother getting a $200 kit to explain the process. If you and your wife are doing this together, I would go to your nearest Family Law Information Centre and get all the information for free. Also, if you have a couple of issues in dispute then you could get a mediator there too. Also they have duty council and legal aid reps there that can help you fill out the forms.

Make sure that when it comes to actually signing the agreement that perhaps you have both have separate legal council advise each of you individually and then get the council to also sign your agreement indicating that you have each received council on the matter. That way if things change later it will be more difficult to make changes and end up in a lenghty court proceeding.

Good Luck!

Comment

I would also do some research into the "sponsoring of her". You need to clear your name from that file.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary_P View Post
        I would also do some research into the "sponsoring of her". You need to clear your name from that file.
        I have a sponsorship of an imigrant spouse and you are financially resposible for that person for the first 3 years. After that your financial sponsorship ends.

Comment

He's talking 2006-2007, the three years would be done, no?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
            He's talking 2006-2007, the three years would be done, no?
            Yes, I just thought I would let him know he was on the hook for 3 years.

Comment

So it's a non-issue then

Comment

We did this one, cost less than 40$, you have the forms and what to do, when and how much each step costs... worked well for us.

Ontario Divorce Kit

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.
                  I will check out that kit.
                  Lately I have heard people saying that they are off the hook after three years but at the time we did the immigration papers I believe it said 10 years, has that changed?

Comment

Um, why not have a look at your papers then....

Comment

Originally posted by tonyspencer View Post
                      Thanks for all your replies.
                      I will check out that kit.
                      Lately I have heard people saying that they are off the hook after three years but at the time we did the immigration papers I believe it said 10 years, has that changed?

Double check your paper work. I believe its 10 years if your sponsoring a parent or brother. A spouse is only 3 years. That is what the laws are now anyways.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X