X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 7 expenses

I have a court order from March 2005 that states:

Respondent (me), shall share in the section 7 expenses in accordance with the Child Support Guidelines.

Section 7 states:
    (b) that portion of the medical and dental insurance premiums attributable to the child.

I am the one paying the premiums. Should my ex wife be paying HER portion of the premiums as well?

If that is true my calculation is as follows:
    The plan covers 7 people (my 3 kids with ex, my common law spouse, her 2 kids and myself)
    The plan cost is $195/month
    That is $27.85/month/person ($195/7)
    Our 3 kids x $27.85/month = $83.57/month
    50% each equals $41.79/month
    March 2005 until July 2011 = 76 month
    76 months x $41.79/month = $3,175.

In theory can I ask her for the $3k be paid back to me as she has never contirbuted to the share of the premiums for the plan? I must have missed the word PREMIUMS in the past.

Section 7 is split proportionate to income. You wouldn't divide it 50% unless your incomes were equal.

The plan would have a base cost to cover you if you were on your own. Each additional person would be more. Check to make sure that what you pay for each child is indeed $27.85 per month. When you do this, err on the side of caution, double check your figures and look at alternate ways of calculating. The way the amount is split is not spelled out in legislation so you would depend on a judge (if it goes that far) to decide what the cost of each child was.

Other than that you seem to have the right idea.

Comment

Thanks Mess,

If we go back to court to review Spousal Support (see my other post), can she bring up Section 7 which is based on the Child Support or will a judger say "different issue" If I know her she will say "he never paid me the $20 for half of the dental bill in 2009" and "back in 2007 our son went on a school trip and it cost me $300 which he never paid me half of".

I have NEVER been asked to pay for anything I did not pay for but she will likely dig up as much dirt as she can as a survival or retaliatory act.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Comment

It should be irrelevent, but you are right, people bring up irrelevent crap all the time in court.

Your response would be to state that a) the issue of children's expenses is irrelevent and b) you have paid any and all expenses that she has tabled and c) if the children have any legitimate expenses that she has not tabled, you eagerly await the receipts.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X