• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much?

There once was a man named George Thomas, pastor in a small New
    England town. One Easter Sunday morning he came to the Church carrying a
    rusty, bent, old bird cage, and set it by the pulpit. Eyebrows were raised
    and, as if in response, Pastor Thomas began to speak...

"I was walking through town yesterday when I saw a young boy coming toward me swinging this bird cage. On the bottom of the cage were three little wild birds, shivering with cold and fright.

I stopped the lad and asked, "What you got there, son?" "Just some old birds," came the reply.

"What are you going to do with them?" I asked

"Take 'em home and have fun with them," he answered. "I'm gonna tease
    'em and pull out their feathers to make them fight. I'm gonna have a real
    good time." "But you'll get tired of those birds sooner or later. What
    will you do?"

"Oh, I got some cats," said the little boy "They like birds. I'll take them to them."

The pastor was silent for a moment. "How much do you want for those birds, son?"

"Huh?? !!! Why, you don't want them birds, mister. They're just plain old field birds. They don't sing. They ain't even pretty!"

"How much?" the pastor asked again.

The boy sized up the pastor as if he were crazy and said, "$10?"

The pastor reached in his pocket and took out a ten dollar bill. He placed it in the boy's hand. In a flash, the boy was gone.

The pastor picked up the cage and gently carried it to the end of the
    alley where there was a tree and a grassy spot. Setting the cage down, he
    opened the door, and by softly tapping the bars persuaded the birds out,
    setting them free.

Well, that explained the empty bird cage on the pulpit, and then the pastor began to tell this story.

One day Satan and Jesus were having a conversation. Satan had just
    come from the Garden of Eden, and he was gloating and boasting. "Yes, sir,
    I just caught the world full of people down there. Set me a trap, used
    bait I knew they couldn't resist. Got them all!"

"What are you going to do with them?" Jesus asked.

Satan replied, "Oh, I'm going to have fun! I'm gonna teach them how to
    marry and divorce each other, how to hate and abuse each other, how to
    drink and smoke and curse. I'm going to teach them how to invent guns and
    bombs and kill each other. I'm really going to have fun!"

"And what will you do when you get done with them?" Jesus asked.

"Oh, I'll kill them," Satan glared proudly. "How much do you want for them?"
    Jesus asked.

"Oh, you don't want those people. They ain't no good. Why, you'll take
    them and they'll just hate you. They'll spit on you, curse you and kill
    you. You don't want those people!!"

"How much?" He asked again.

Satan looked at Jesus and sneered, "All your blood, tears and your life."

Jesus said, "DONE!"

Then He paid the price.

The pastor picked up the cage he opened the door and he walked from the pulpit..

Hubby - Pay particular attention to Satan's reply when Jesus asked what he was going to do ...

hubby
    What a beautiful analogy with the birds.
    Can you imagine doing what God did for us-letting you child die to give the world salvation? God loves us that much! Why on earth would we shun him. I know if it wasn't for God having a great plan for me(for all of us) I wouldn't be here now. I have have to ALWAYS remember that the turmoil in my life is going to make me a better person and things will eventually iron out in a way that I couldn't plan if I even tried to wrap my human brain around it.
    Great story!

Comment

Here's a story that a minister relayed in church:
      There was a man who had a son that went to war. The man didn't want him to go;it was his only son.
      A few months later there was a knock on the older man's door-it was a soldier. The soldier began to cry and told the father that his son had been killed @ war. The soldier went on to say that he was very close to the man's son and that the son had jumped in front the soldier in order to save his live, dying in the process.
      The soldier then handed a painting to the old man, explaining that his son had painted the self-portrait, to be given to his father in case he died at war.
      Now, this Father was a great collector of fine art--he had Michalangelo's, Rembrant's etc. all around his house. He moved a multi-million dollar painting from over the fireplace and proudly replaced it with his son's 'masterpiece'.
      Years later, the father died. His will said there was to be an auction for his paintings.
      On the acution day, men of the town were anxiously waiting to buy precious painting for 1/10 of the value. The auctioneer began the bidding:
      "First we are going to start with this self-portrait of the son". The men laughed and said"we don't want to bid on that , it's worthless, let's get to the good art"
      The auctioneer continued saying"we have to sell this piece of work first". The audience replied angrily "come on , this is nonsense, we don't want that piece of garbage, let's get going-where's the Rembrant's?
      Now, the old man's gardener, who was a loyal and faithful servant was standing in the back of the room, saddened by all ot this. He had worked for the old man for many years and was very close to the old man, and his son.
      Finally, after the gardener realized that none of the townspeople were going to bid, he took a chance and bid ten dollars. He didn't have much money so ten dollars to him was like thousands to the others.
      The autioneer said" I hear $10 do I hear $20?" The townspeople grunted and snorted saying " no we don't want to bid on that old piece of canvass, LET'S GET ON WITH THE PRICELESS PAINTINGS" After several attempts at a higher bid, the auctioneer said" goin once, going twice, SOLD for ten dollars to the gardener standing in the back".
      The auctioneer then said "this auction is now over".
      The crowd roared "what about the priceless paintings?"
      The auctioneer then replied" it was stated in the old man's will that whoever takes his son , shall be given all; the entire collection goes to the gardener." The will stated" If you accept my son, I will give you everything"
      Hope you enjoyed this story.

Comment

God ... that was touching!

Thanks ... that was a FANTASTIC one.

Hubby

Comment

Thanks. It's been months since I've heard that story but I still remember the chills I felt when the minister said the punchline! Gives you a clear view of reality, doesn't it? I'm trying to hold onto that peaceful feeling all the time. With life's struggles I have to constantly remind myself but when I do achieve serenity for even a minute, it's a great feeling

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X