This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I received a weird email at work

Not really divorce/separation related but I wanted to get some opinions on what to do.

I received the following email at my work email:

"Dear [SingingDad], I am writing to express concern for your friend [Friend]. She is friends with a sexual online predator, [man I don't know], who has victimized many women. Please make sure she is safe.

-[Woman I don't know]"

I spoke with my friend and she does know the man who was mentioned in the email, and was actually intending on meeting him for dinner next week. She doesn't know the sender of the email either.

I've let my friend know the information, but still have an uneasy feeling about the whole situation
    • I'm not sure if I should contact the police
    • Should I make further enquiries to the sender about the allagations
    • should I get involved at all
    • how did this person a) know my association with my friend, b) find my work email address
    • why did she choose to contact me
    • My friend is more readily searchable and can be contacted more easily than I, so why didn't this person contact her.

Spam? There have been a few of these going out lately.

Comment

Originally posted by SingingDad View Post
      Not really divorce/separation related but I wanted to get some opinions on what to do.

I received the following email at my work email:

"Dear [SingingDad], I am writing to express concern for your friend [Friend]. She is friends with a sexual online predator, [man I don't know], who has victimized many women. Please make sure she is safe.

-[Woman I don't know]"

I spoke with my friend and she does know the man who was mentioned in the email, and was actually intending on meeting him for dinner next week. She doesn't know the sender of the email either.

I've let my friend know the information, but still have an uneasy feeling about the whole situation
      • I'm not sure if I should contact the police
      • Should I make further enquiries to the sender about the allagations
      • should I get involved at all
      • how did this person a) know my association with my friend, b) find my work email address
      • why did she choose to contact me
      • My friend is more readily searchable and can be contacted more easily than I, so why didn't this person contact her.
      hmm did the woman mention your friend by name? You did your part by telling your friend the contents of the email. It is now her business to decide what to do, not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
        Spam? There have been a few of these going out lately.
        I don't think so... the mail was sent through the webform contact for the place I work for.

Comment

Google all the names and the sending email address! I too would be creeped out by how this woman I don't know knows so much. See what you can find out in return. Are your friend's name and the man's name fairly common? Could it be a generic scam type thing?

If it's heartfelt, you've let your friend know. She can take precautions like not being alone with him till she knows him better, only meeting him in public places, etc. But an experienced and determined predator will gain confidence and trust slowly anyway.

If it's malicious, think about the motivations. Is it a vengeful ex (to keep to our forum theme!) out to make sure her ex can't date new women? Is it someone your friend knows using a fake name to create drama? I'm not sure how the email could be a scam type fraud, as there doesn't seem to be an avenue to monetary gain.

You could always reply to the email, thanking the person for their concern and asking for more information, to see what happens.
          Last edited by Rioe; 02-08-2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
            hmm did the woman mention your friend by name? You did your part by telling your friend the contents of the email. It is now her business to decide what to do, not yours.
            Yes, full first and last name. You're probably right, but leaving it as is still makes me feel uneasy for some reason.

Comment

Web-forms are a prime target as well, for Spamming. They have automated "bots" that do this. It could still very likely be Spam.

I would ignore this, and get on with your life. If someone was actually concerned about another person, they would call some type of authority. They would not fill out a "web-form".

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                Google all the names and the sending email address! I too would be creeped out by how this woman I don't know knows so much. See what you can find out in return. Are your friend's name and the man's name fairly common? Could it be a generic

If it's heartfelt, you've let your friend know. She can take precautions like not being alone with him till she knows him better, only meeting him in public places, etc. But an experienced and determined predator will gain confidence and trust slowly anyway.

If it's malicious, think about the motivations. Is it a vengeful ex (to keep to our forum theme!) out to make sure her ex can't date new women? Is it someone your friend knows using a fake name to create drama? I'm not sure how the email could be a scam type fraud, as there doesn't seem to be an avenue to monetary gain.

You could always reply to the email, thanking the person for their concern and asking for more information, to see what happens.
                The names aren't common, and I did google the name of the sender but couldn't find any information. I am truly worried that this is malicious and this person is somehow trying to get me involved a dispute that I am not a part of, or build a phony body of allegations against an innocent person.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                  Web-forms are a prime target as well, for Spamming. They have automated "bots" that do this. It could still very likely be Spam.

I would ignore this, and get on with your life. If someone was actually concerned about another person, they would call some type of authority. They would not fill out a "web-form".
                  Yeah but to use specific names, one of a friend, and one of her friends is pretty specific information for a bot to be putting into a webform.

Comment

What made this even weirder is that my Friend was supposed to meet this guy for dinner next week.

Comment

Call the police.

Comment

Jealous ex?

Some of the people on this forum might be familiar with that type of personality

Comment

^ I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
                            Call the police.
                            I did on a purely informational basis and they said without direct information of a crime or intent to commit a crime there was little they could or would do, even if I filed a report. I think I will take Rioe's advice and email the person back and see if there are any more details.

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                            Jealous ex?

Some of the people on this forum might be familiar with that type of personality
                            I have been thinking the same thing but you would really hate to dismiss something like this on an assumption. The fact that the person that contacted me hasn't contacted the police directly is the thing that has me wondering.

Comment

Are the 3 of you connected online somehow? Like, maybe she is FaceBook friends with the guy and you are a FaceBook friend with her?

I'm on another forum that helps with missing children and adults. They are great at digging up information on the people connected with the missing.

I'd Google him.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X