EX "Underemployed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX "Underemployed"

I pay CS much higher than I should. My ex gets pais $12 per hour by her dad working for him 5 years and the job with her experience and skills pays around $25.

I cannot afford a lawyer nor am eligible for legal aid. Is there anything I can do because it is not fair. I know the money she makes goes on his account.

What makes you think you pay too much child support?

How often do you have your child/ren?

Comment

Moon,

The amount of child support you pay is entirely based on your income, not hers.

Spousal support is based on your income and hers, and your share of of extraordinary expenses (section 7) is based on both your incomes.

Comment

OP could be paying off-set and might have 50/50.

Not much you can do. She is employed and all you could really do is have her imputed with a full-time min wage job...which she appears to have.

Comment

its offset.

Someone with her tickets makes min 25 per hour. I know people with a trade who have to pay CS based on what they are capable of making not what they make. But they happen to be MALES

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
            its offset.

Someone with her tickets makes min 25 per hour. I know people with a trade who have to pay CS based on what they are capable of making not what they make. But they happen to be MALES
            Good luck.

Comment

its offset.

What "evidence" do you have to support this.

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
                What "evidence" do you have to support this.
                Logic. Imagine a mechanic working for $15 an hour. Who would buy that?

Comment

Umm I know for a fact that some mechanics are paid by the job and not by the hour (I dated/lived with one for years) Plus the posted rate for labour at a garage or dealership isn't what the mechanics (automotive tech) get paid.

Comment

Yea I would actually... my partner works at a dealership in the city... the mechanics there make between $14-$20 per hour, the dealer charges $50/hr labour. Owners have to make money too and just because the rate of labour is high, doesn't mean that is what the mechanics make. I think you would have a hard time arguing this point, especially if she makes over min wage.

Edit: SOTS beat me to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                      Yea I would actually... my partner works at a dealership in the city... the mechanics there make between $14-$20 per hour, the dealer charges $50/hr labour. Owners have to make money too and just because the rate of labour is high, doesn't mean that is what the mechanics make. I think you would have a hard time arguing this point, especially if she makes over min wage.

Edit: SOTS beat me to it!
                      They are paid by the hour but it's not a worked hour it's a book hour. If the book says three hours that's what they get paid. An experienced mechanic should be able to do the work in less than half the time. Biggest scam out there short of profiting off of the break up of families.

Comment

Originally posted by Once.is.enough View Post
                        They are paid by the hour but it's not a worked hour it's a book hour. If the book says three hours that's what they get paid. An experienced mechanic should be able to do the work in less than half the time. Biggest scam out there short of profiting off of the break up of families.
                        Disagree.. those mechanics are not paid by book hour, they are paid by the hour. They work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week... if they happen to put in 60 book hours in a week, they still only get paid 40 hours that week, the rest is pure profit for the dealership.

Either way, not worth arguing about and the OP will find it hard to argue that she has to make more, if she is making more than min wage.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                          Disagree.. those mechanics are not paid by book hour, they are paid by the hour. They work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week... if they happen to put in 60 book hours in a week, they still only get paid 40 hours that week, the rest is pure profit for the dealership.

Either way, not worth arguing about and the OP will find it hard to argue that she has to make more, if she is making more than min wage.
                          I'm calling bs. I am a mechanic. Been doing it for over twenty five years. That practice is universal across all dealerships I have worked at. When management has tried to implement diferent pay schemes we move along. When the skill is no longer available to the employer they revert to the standard scheme. Watched it happen a few times over the years and have profited from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Once.is.enough View Post
                            I'm calling bs. I am a mechanic. Been doing it for over twenty five years. That practice is universal across all dealerships I have worked at. When management has tried to implement diferent pay schemes we move along. When the skill is no longer available to the employer they revert to the standard scheme. Watched it happen a few times over the years and have profited from it.
                            And I am calling BS on you, as my partner does payroll for these mechanics. These mechanics have been in place for over 7 years, so while you may choose to move along, not every mechanic moves on. Every business is going to be different, no different then construction companies, some charge per tonne, while others charge by truck load, which may have varying tonnes.

Comment

Its just unfair. I looked for job openings for her profession and they pay a lot. With a good lawyer I could do something about it but I can't afford one. If she was making what she claims I would gladly pay every penny. This is just another proof that who plays dirty has an upper hand.

A friend of mine who is a welder gets paid $18. They imputed it to $35 because his ex's lawyer proved he can make that much.

Thanks for your imput guys

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X