This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids and Homework

As many of you know, raising children and helping them through school can be challenging at times, especially with what seems like an increased homework workload and school projects that seem years ahead of what kids should be doing!

My eldest son, who has a very strong personality and is determined in his ways seems to give both my spouse and I a difficult time when it comes to doing homework. Its' always a struggle to get through it with him.

Our concern is that our two other children will mirror his behavior and follow suit.

Now its a struggle with both of us there, I can only image the fun we will have once/if we are seperated!

My friend advised me that "If I can get my eldest son in line or under control -- the other two will soon follow his lead".

So, I'd be interested in knowing how others have dealt with children and the doing of homework dilemma's? How have you or do you manage your time when trying to do homework with many children? How do you maintain calm when doing homework? How do you enforce disipline when one or more of the children 'get out of hand'?

Appreciate the feedback.

Hubby

Hubby,

I think most older children realize the consequences of not doing homework. They receive poor marks, possibly fail tests etc.

From an early grade, the school had a planner program - every school day, the child is expected to write down the particular homework assignment. Every day a parent is to sign in its completion. The following day the teacher would also sign the planner and confirm, perhaps give a comment or two.

Awhile back my son had some difficulty in doing home work. He just wasn't bringing any home to do. So as a measure, I started picking him up at school, and before we left, I would make sure to ask the teacher WHAT was for homework that particular week, day etc.

I only had to show up at the school twice, to get him to tow the line.
    He seldom forgets homework now! I think I embarrassed him! It worked for me.

His mother and I speak often to be sure we are on the same page in regards to our child.

LV

Comment

I hear you Hubby, it's painstaking getting my youngest to do homework, I never had this problem with any of my older children. The only suggestion that I found useful is he is not allowed to do anything after school, TV, video games, play outside, etc until his homework is completed. He has a folder that comes home every day after school with the teacher homework assignments, so I do know what is assigned.

Originally posted by hubby
      How do you maintain calm when doing homework?
      Drink, that is how the name "cocktail hour" came about. And make it doubles if a science project is involved. I think they should pass a law saying all science project must be completed at school .

Comment

arrrgh. homework

I tired taking the stance that I have already completed elementary school, hence homwork is not responsibility ... BUT ... maternal guilt won out in the end!

I ask ONCE each evening - "Do you have homework" - if I don't get an answer, or someone 'forgets' then that person deals with the consquences at school. We don't have a lot of homework, but it tends to get done!!

Out eldest is a terrific student, I can only hope the littlest ones follow suit!

Good luck ... and I also suggest wine with dinner - and with homework!

Comment

LOL!

Ha, never thought about the drinking -- cocktail hour!

LV, I don't know if showing up @ the school will work for me ... all the Moms start to hit on me! Not good for my sons to see that until their at least 18!

I'd say my next biggest challenge is a language one. They go to an all french school and I'm only english! Now numbers I can figure out, but reading and comprehension -- whoa! My eldest son had to help me pronounce a french word yesterday as I was giving dictee to my youngest -- now I dont' mind the help from my kids, its the attitude when he pronounced it for me "Like DAD, are you stupid, why can't you pronounce a simple word" OR my youngest was helping me to pronounce a word for my eldest son and he says "Alexandre, dont worry about it, I know what he's trying to say!"

Like talk about be 'bitch slapped' by your kids! I had to check my cheeks for red marks!

Hubby

Comment

Originally posted by hubby
            LV, I don't know if showing up @ the school will work for me ... all the Moms start to hit on me! Not good for my sons to see that until their at least 18!
            Hubby, you truly are acting in the "best interest of the children". Imagine if you showed up at their school in your white polyester suit, bellbottoms and all. Not to mention your platform boots. The school would have to call in the riot squad to keep the Mom's at bay. I commend you for sparing your children .

Comment

haha, too funny!

Comment

Hubby, my eldest son is homework challenged..and the youngest is following suit as well But I think you hit on something and I know we do it here too and it makes a difference..I have the eldest help the youngest with homework..he dictates his spelling and checks his math work. Afterwords I"ll also review it to make sure its correct. My eldest son really enjoys helping his brother and for one reason or another he becomes more focused on his own work...like maybe he wants to set a good example....

The other thing I do that helps, is become very well aquainted with their teachers, and every other week or so I write a note in their planners asking about any upcoming or outstanding assignments..its a relatively easy way to keep in touch and your kids can easily see that both the parent and teacher are paying attention and keeping contact so its pretty hard to pull the wool over anyones eyes...

Good luck!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X