Sick Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a hill to die on.

If anything, after a spate of sick days you could suggest they be taken to be checked by the doctor but truly it isn’t worth a fight.

It also comes off as a bit petty.

Comment

Let the school deal with the absences. It will show up on the report cards or the principal may get involved. Ultimately there are officers (truancy) who deal with this at the provincial level.

https://www.ola.org/en/legislative-b...ion-2/bill-198

Comment

An additional thing you can do is explain to your children why going to school is good for them and why skipping school is definitely not good for them.
        Kids can be influenced to do the normal thing.

For example: you want them to interact with as many other people as possible so they grow up normal.

Stay at home means they do not learn these things.

Comment

We let our 9 year old stay home from school as mental health days every couple months. We discuss it together and let him know that if he's feeling okay physically but not feeling okay in his head and he needs a day to reset, then he needs to let us know. We are hopeful that him knowing we support him and his education and his mental health will prevent skipping school as a teenager. It also has eliminated fake sick days. The one's where they say they're sick and as soon as school has started, they're running around the house like a psycho. I don't get the whole school is more important than their health and their well being and they must never miss a day unless they're dying. Let them stay home with you sometime and let them see that you support their overall well being and not just their physical presence at school. They may be faking sick days because they legitimately need a day to reset and mom allows it. Unless the amount of sick days are overwhelming and the school is really concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
            I read this legislation. A child must be absent 40 days for it to kick in. That seems like a large number but its a start I guess.
            I am sure your court order is registered with the school. If you are truly 50-50 and your schedule is outlined... A principal will notice. Many do... They will report it if the majority of absence is when the children are residing with one parent.

A principal will approach the parent with the majority of absences. Principals sign children's report cards for a reason...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X