This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering Marital Home (Locks Changed)

My ex has contacted me asking for a list of items in the home that I want so that we can equalize our assets in the home. The home is currently for sale and I have not lived in it since September. The last time I went to the home was with police in October to get clothing. The locks have been changed but there is no court order keeping me from the home.

I have had it with this bitch of a woman and know that most likely she has been sneaking items out of the house that she wants to keep. I remember most of what is in the home but I think it's unfair that I am unable to enter the home to take an inventory.

I have talked to the police and they always give the bullshit answer of, "keep away for your own safety and protect yourself from false accusations"....of course, because they don't want her or I bothering them. The police are clueless when it comes to family law.

I still own the home, what stops me from entering the home when she is working? Really, the woman has been unbearable to deal with so I need to take matters into my own hands.

Custody and access have been settled so I'm not worried about pissing anyone off anymore.

As some of you on here know, I have taken a beating from this bitch and now it's no more mr. nice guy.

What would you do if you wanted to enter this home to take an inventory of what the contents are?

Do you have a copy of the title showing your name? Get one if you don't. I carry a copy with me all the time justs in case my ex tries to chance the locks.
    You can then call a lock smith to open the door and rekey the locks... (and have proof it is your home so they will do it)
    If there is no court order, there is NOTHING keeping you moving back into the house (believe me, it happened to me). There is NOTHING keeping you from having the locks changed...just be sure to give her a copy of the new key because you can't keep her out of the house either and it will look bad on you if you change the locks and don't give her a copy of the new key.
    Just be sure to cover your butt.... have a witness with you - record any convo's - don't enter unexpectedly on your own when she is home... who knows what she'll try to claim.....
    Good luck. If you start to enter the home again, she'll most likely go for exclusive possession and it's contents.... get all your duckies in a row.

Comment

I do not know your full story, but I feel your frustration!
      First, take inventory. Make a list from memory (and/or family photos, videos, MLS listing photos ) of the items in each room. Gather all receipts or credit card statements that you have for any household purchases.
      Second, please do not enter the house until you have clarified and understood your legal rights...you do not want any misinterpretions of your actions by your ex and/or the police. When you are allowed in the house, bring a person with you- perhaps a neutral third party- as a witness. Videotape where possible. Document. Document. Document.
      Lastly, do not move back into the house. It would be bad for your mental well-being. It is For Sale. The goal is to get this sale completed so that there is one less tie.
      If your ex is doing questionable things, then it will catch up with her in some way. In the end, it is just stuff. Your health is much more important. Stay calm, dude and the best of luck.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X