Scheduling around night shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduling around night shift

While in the process of separation, my soon to be ex has found out he's being moved over to night shift work.

Has anyone dealt with this? How have, or how would you structure a schedule?

I really can't see any other solution other the kiddos being with me Sunday night to Friday morning (which I'm completely okay with), but I can understand why he wouldn't be.

Would he be allowed to have the kids and leave them with someone overnight (I'm thinking he would ask his mom to help)? I'd much rather them be with me if that's going to be the case.

Well, during his time he has the right to parent and that means choosing how to manage care of the kids. He will be working when they are sleep so if his mom is there during that time then he is there for them for morning, dinner and after school.

My ex use to work a rotating days and nights 12hrs and worked it out to make sure that the kids see both parents.

Comment

Turn this around and think of it this way. You have to work during the summer when the kids are home and you want to leave them with your mom but your ex says no way they should be with me. Would you feel that is fair?

He would see them in the morning when they got up for school and would get them dinner and get them to bed. What is the problem with him leaving them SLEEPING in the care of their GRANDMOTHER?

Comment

How close by will you be living, perhaps you could come up with a schedule where the child can go to your home to sleep. I'm thinking this maybe too much asking Grandma to babysit 5 nights a week. Assuming you work days, this could also eliminate any daycare you need as your ex would be able to cover that.

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
          How close by will you be living, perhaps you could come up with a schedule where the child can go to your home to sleep. I'm thinking this maybe too much asking Grandma to babysit 5 nights a week. Assuming you work days, this could also eliminate any daycare you need as your ex would be able to cover that.
          that would be okay if the child was in school. Night shift workers sleep during the day for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
            that would be okay if the child was in school. Night shift workers sleep during the day for the most part.
            Yes, of course. Assuming the children are in school they could possibly eliminate all childcare if one works days and one works nights.

Comment

There’s a lot of variables here - how old are the kids, are they frequently up at night, what are the hours of his night shift, is his mom willing to come over to his place, or if he has to drop them off is she nearby? Also, is his work Monday-Friday or is it weekends too?

I have coworkers that only have their kids every other weekend and have to pay child support due to night shift. I have others that work around a shift work schedule. There’s no clear defined answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
                I'm thinking this maybe too much asking Grandma to babysit 5 nights a week.

If they do 2-2-3 or 2-2-5-5, Grandma would only be doing two nights a week. That’s completely reasonable if she’s nearby and willing to do it. Depending on hours, he could still put them to bed and be there when they woke in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

is it 8's or 12's? I think that would make a difference. if it is 12's and only maybe 2-3 nights at a time, maybe grandma makes sense. if it is 8's 5 days a week, then that would be a lot harder.

What did you decide to do?

Comment

Up to him how he chooses to manage childcare with the kids during his time. As the kids would be sleeping for most of that time and someone there with them, i don't really see it as much different than any other parent working during weekdays when the kids are in school or daycare much of the time, under the care of someone else.

Comment

Night shift ..ugh,

I have worked nightshift almost my entire career until the last several years. I couldn't parent and work that shift. Depends how long the shifts are too. I work 12 hrs and if I am not working I am sleeping or in zombie land from making dinner, laundry and homework and kids activities squeezed in between working and sleeping. I am not sure where your ex works but I know now if I worked nights I could apply for a human rights issue on family status as a single parent and work shifts that accommodate this. I know many do this but depends if it is a small private company vs. a larger company or government.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X