No announcement yet.

Child Moving Out - Attends local University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second question first: you dont list the NCP income. Whatever parent kid is living with before or during school is the income used for OSAP calculations.

First question second: loans and OSAP are NOT to be used for all costs. It doesnt matter what a kid gets from the government they are only required to pay a portion of the cost. The idea behind that is that kids shouldnt have to be saddled with debt/go through undue hardship because their parents divorced. Now in some cases some kids of divorce do have to use all their loans and be saddled with debt but if a parent(s) have the ability to pay they are legally obligated to pay.

In your example, is costs are $15000 and kid gets $12000 in loans and grants you still calculate it as $5000 is kids portion and $10000 is split between parents. The extra OSAP money can be thrown in a bank account to be used for additional years of school or to pay back the government when they graduate.

Theres plenty of case law on student loans and children being protected. PLENTY of parents have tried to pull the "kid can get a loan" argument. It doesnt fly. You will be obligated to pay a portion of costs.

With respect to those costs...the lawyer we see said those are the muddy things. Tuition, books, school equipment is all straightforward and results in receipts. Residence and meal plans are trackable too. Its when kid lives off campus or has a car where it gets difficult. For my partner, his kid will be living off campus so the lawyer suggested he discuss a monthly budget for groceries. Her rent should include utilities and the kids are splitting internet/cable. Its a toss up on grocery costs for the month which is where the budget comes in.

This year hes also giving her gift cards for the drugstore and grocery store since last year his ex claimed misc expenses like cold medication and feminine products and snacks.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
      But are the "loans" automatic?? I mean does just submitting the application mean they will apply the student "loans" to the account? I still have RESPs to use...

If your kid applied for OSAP they will consider all the details submitted and award them an amount of money deemed necessary. This will be grants, 30% off tuition and loans. Im not sure how they get the forms/account now a days. When I was in school we lined up in the great hall, signed a bunch of forms and got a carbon document to take to the bank that put the remainder of funds (tuition and fees were taken off automatically) into my bank account. From there I had money to buy my books and other supplies. That was 20 years ago though. Not sure how it works now but somehow your kid will have the OSAP award given to them. You could try calling the financial aid office and asking them how OSAP is paid to the kid. Just tell them youre a divorced parent and not getting info and you arent asking for private details, you just want to know how funds are released and receipted.

Comment

With my stepdaughter's SIN and loan account number, I created an account online. She was OK with that because I make the loan payments.

At some point the 30% off showed up online as a credit to the account.

Comment

SomeGuy

I swear I must have come into a parallel universe and you are actually me. You described my ex-wife perfectly with the description of your ex-wife. And also my kid is going to university in the fall. And I just put through a motion to reduce child support due to the kid being away at university starting in December. The useless criminal child support guidelines talk about a kid reaching age of majority. It basically says child support continues to the end of the first post secondary degree unless there is a reason it shouldn't. Talk about vague?!? So I put through a motion to stop child support totally for the one kid and said the reason why. Basically I said she still owes me 40K in property claims, 6,500 in fraudulent spousal support and now I have overpaid child support 4K too. I'm expecting she'll make the case that our daughter will spend 4 months with her when out of school but I'm prepared for that. I know she has a whole bunch of exemptions she never uses so I'm going to say "Sure I'll pay 1/3 of the total for child support but in return you are going to make a good hunk of it sposal support. She pays no tax because of her high exemptions and I get the tax break. It's a logical solution but anyone who has been to court knows it's anything but logical. But I'm going to try anyway and I'll post what happens. But first my dominatrix wannabe ex wife has decided she doesn't like it being at the court near me and has put through a motion to change it to a court near her. So that motion is being held in two days. Gawd she's a pain in the ass.

Comment

Thanks Paris... with OSAP, is there a separate "loan account"? Does the money just "show up" in the University account? or does it "show up" in the loan account and have to be transferred/paid back, etc?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Desperate_Dad View Post
              SomeGuy

I swear I must have come into a parallel universe and you are actually me. You described my ex-wife perfectly with the description of your ex-wife. And also my kid is going to university in the fall. And I just put through a motion to reduce child support due to the kid being away at university starting in December. The useless criminal child support guidelines talk about a kid reaching age of majority. It basically says child support continues to the end of the first post secondary degree unless there is a reason it shouldn't. Talk about vague?!? So I put through a motion to stop child support totally for the one kid and said the reason why. Basically I said she still owes me 40K in property claims, 6,500 in fraudulent spousal support and now I have overpaid child support 4K too. I'm expecting she'll make the case that our daughter will spend 4 months with her when out of school but I'm prepared for that. I know she has a whole bunch of exemptions she never uses so I'm going to say "Sure I'll pay 1/3 of the total for child support but in return you are going to make a good hunk of it sposal support. She pays no tax because of her high exemptions and I get the tax break. It's a logical solution but anyone who has been to court knows it's anything but logical. But I'm going to try anyway and I'll post what happens. But first my dominatrix wannabe ex wife has decided she doesn't like it being at the court near me and has put through a motion to change it to a court near her. So that motion is being held in two days. Gawd she's a pain in the ass.
              There's actually an ex-wife / ex-gf playbook.
              Has anyone on here spoken of an ex being forced to pay back money?

You can have my ex's playbook:
              - Have cash flow of 80k per annum, and show income of 20k.
              -Plead poor in front of all legal people, yet post pics of your new $2,000 purse that you just bought on facebook. (at least I know where my support goes)
              - Speak in vaguenesses when communicating to me. (Why does it take three weeks of her humming and hawing to get my access weekend?)
              - Pretend to know nothing about family court, when you're previously divorced and receiving money from another guy.

Comment

My ex-wife playbook

Claim she makes 25K and pays tax when she makes 55K tax free

Claim to be too sick to drive to court and get them to conference her at home when she claims gas charges of 250/month on her financial statement

Never signs or commissions any documents she sends to me

Claim to be too sick to work but then have our daughter try to get her resume from my computer (that helped me get income imputed to her)

Claim to not know I was overpaying child support because she doesn't understand complex math

I'm sure there is more but that is what I though of off the top of my head.

Comment

Thanks Paris... with OSAP, is there a separate "loan account"? Does the money just "show up" in the University account? or does it "show up" in the loan account and have to be transferred/paid back, etc?

Cheers
                  I'm not sure what you're asking. I can login online to see the loan. It shows interest accrued and payments I've made to it. It showed a credit on the loan for the 30% off. It shows as a payment made to the account by the government. That help?

Comment

Originally posted by paris View Post
                    I'm not sure what you're asking. I can login online to see the loan. It shows interest accrued and payments I've made to it. It showed a credit on the loan for the 30% off. It shows as a payment made to the account by the government. That help?

I think he wants to know how the money gets to kid and how its tracked. Has your child graduated?

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                      I think he wants to know how the money gets to kid and how its tracked. Has your child graduated?
                      I just logged in and viewed her disbursements. One of the amounts was $5,535. It shows $1,187 was sent to her (direct deposited to her bank account) and $4,348 was sent to the school.

I went to this website to create her account. https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal

This is the website I use to check the balance and it's where I found the credit applied. https://csnpe-nslsc.cibletudes-canle...g/Default.aspx
                      Last edited by paris; 07-23-2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I just logged in and viewed her disbursements. One of the amounts was $5,535. It shows $1,187 was sent to her (direct deposited to her bank account) and $4,348 was sent to the school.

Ok so basically its a direct deposit set up with the tuition fees taken off the top.

Comment

Hi Paris... thanks.. appreciate your response.... what I'm asking is the mechanics of how this OSAP stuff works.

Problem is she applied for OSAP... so she has sole access to the OSAP account you describe. I have a great relationship with my boys, and have full access to their university financial accounts, so I will see everything that shows up in there. However if loans show up in their bank accounts, I won't be able to see that.

I gather with OSAP there is "tuition refund", "grants", and "loans"... correct? Does OSAP account break these 3 things down? That is what I would really like to see.

For what it's worth.. I'm the good guy in this nightmare.. she's a financial lunatic and my trust factor when it comes to these things is approximately zero.

Comment

The loan shows where I linked. The tuition refund showed up there as a credit. I don't know about grants. When I posted the numbers above, I wondered why they would deposit $1,187 to her account. Way to much for books and such. There were 2 disbursements. The other one was $5,872 sent to the school and $2,431 sent to her. Maybe the 2 deposits to her account were grants to cover her expenses while in school? She lived with her Mom and income was very low.

Now that I've looked closer I'm feeling a little pissy because I know where most of that $3,600 to her bank account went.

Comment

Thanks Paris.... sounds like a typical government program.

Did YOU "apply" for OSAP or did she (or her Mom)? I mean you seem to be able to see the OSAP account... but who did the original application?

You've touched on my fears as I"m bending over backwards to get my kids through Uni as debt free as possible, and if "loans" start showing up in bank accounts, they might not be properly treated.

thanks

Comment

Thanks Paris.... sounds like a typical government program.

Did YOU "apply" for OSAP or did she (or her Mom)? I mean you seem to be able to see the OSAP account... but who did the original application?

You've touched on my fears as I"m bending over backwards to get my kids through Uni as debt free as possible, and if "loans" start showing up in bank accounts, they might not be properly treated.

thanks

Youre overthinking this and making yourself crazy. Your kids are adults and responsible for part if not all of the decision. If they dont want to cooperate then they end up in the situation they create. Either they listen to a parent with a responsible fiscal sense or they let the irresponsible parent control them. You know what will happen with the latter. You cant force them to do what you want. Youve given them advice and they can choose what to do.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X