Child support & custodial address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support & custodial address

I hope there is someone out there who "has been there and done that".

Paying CS and suspect the children in post-secondary have been forced to use another address in order to obtain financial assistance.

Does anyone know the guidelines for obtaining OSAP even if the custodial parent makes over $90,000.00 annually.

Secondly, is the eligibility to obtain OSAP based on both parents income, and if this is not declared, how is the financial assistance still available?

Thanks for your help, I really need it!

Check out the OSAP website calculator

Generally OSAP takes into consideration both parents income.

Comment

My son just went through this. The application only asks for the salary of the sole custodial parent and his/her spouse, if applicable. I have heard that if a parent writes a letter saying they have no intention of assisting their child financially, they won't consider their salary when calculating a loan.

Comment

If no letter is written indicating that they have no intention of paying, then why is the income of the non-custodial parent included?

Comment

When using the OSAP estimator calculator, is it based on the custodial parent and/or non-custodial or the student alone?

Comment

When my son did his application, they asked for certain lines from my 2012 income tax return (sorry, I forget which ones), my husband's tax return and my son's, as well as his estimation as to how much he thinks he might be able to earn this coming year. It did not ask for his biological father's income thankfully, or he never would have qualified (his father hasn't spoken to my son in two years, he makes a substantial income but has not one asked about his intention to go to university).

Comment

Originally posted by tipper View Post
              When using the OSAP estimator calculator, is it based on the custodial parent and/or non-custodial or the student alone?
              Ours was based on custodial parent income with new partner - non-custodial bio parent income was not a factor nor considered.

Unlike KMF below, we overqualified. Which is crazy, considering everything else we calculate is on bioparent incomes.. but not so OSAP. So now, as bio parents, we have to calculate with no OSAP grants/loans.
              Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Did they also ask for the custodial residential address on the OSAP application?

Is there a "threshold" of annual gross that your son's bio parent would have to make to disallow OSAP?

Were assets, and what type are factored into the assessment?

Thanks very much...

Comment

I understand that you have to make less than $140,000 family income in order to qualify for a loan, but based on what they allow, at $140,000 I can't imagine them loaning more than $500.

They ask for the student's address I believe, but they get CRA to release your tax return to them, so they'll be able to see any address discrepancies.

They did not ask anything about assets.

Comment

Sorry, don't know the cut-off. We were asked:

1) for permanent canadian address and mailing address of student;
                    2) if parents are married to each other or are in a common-law relationship with each other.
                    3) if parent that student currently lives with has remarried or is in a common-law relationship. If you moved to go to school, base your response on the parent you lived with before moving away.
                    4) personal, income and children details from the parent you currently live with (or lived with before moving) and from his or her spouse or common-law partner.

Nothing as to assets.

Did have to provide my SIN and tax information, as well as that of my current spouse, so presumably they are checking financials.
                    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

D fill OSAP and got granted funding, did not have to declare non-custodial parent income.

Only have to provide custodial parent status and income, they also ask for student income, RESP income and asset like car, TFSA, RSP.

And yes the child can still get funding with a parent income over 90K. There is loan but also grant base on different scenario.

Part of the process they validate enrollment and cost with the school and student & parent income with CRA.

Comment

Is is possible for the custodial parent to give the address of a relative in order not to have to declare true annual gross?

When I use the calculator seems that the OSAP may be too high for the actual level of income...

If that were true, how would one be able to obtain the documents from the financial aid office?

Comment

Can one on the advice of a lawyer prepare a Motion to Change when the 1st of two children has completed their post-secondary education?

Thanks to everyone who has replied to date...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X