CRA can't do math....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRA can't do math....

I know I was a little late in submitting taxes...But got my stuff together a few months back and sent it in.

Back came a letter asking for reciepts. I printed off bank statements and submitted.

They came back with the check, and explained I hadn't submitted proper reciepts so they were not accepting them.

I have contacted FRO but they can only vouch for the 3 months I paid through them, not the 2 months prior.

Anyone succesfully appealled their ruling?

What is this in reference to?
    I assume this is for child support payments you made, or spousal support?

If you sent in bank statements, what method of payment did you use for these prior-to-FRO payments? Can you order cheque images, or anything?

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
      What is this in reference to?
      I assume this is for child support payments you made, or spousal support?

If you sent in bank statements, what method of payment did you use for these prior-to-FRO payments? Can you order cheque images, or anything?
      Sorry guess it requires more explanation.

I was trying to claim spousal support on my income tax. I sent bank statements that show Interac email transfers from me to the ex. I also sent, as requested, a copy of the separation agreement which clearly laid out exact numbers. The agreement was signed June 29, and I did pay two months back, but CRA ruled that the spousal support section was not specific about the back support the way the child support was so it wouldn't count. But despite that I should be able to claim 6 months of spousal support. Previous to that I was paying support but unless it is under an order or agreement it doesn't count tax wise.

Of course my payments included both spousal and child support in one payment, but the division in the SA is very clear.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
        I know I was a little late in submitting taxes...But got my stuff together a few months back and sent it in.

Back came a letter asking for reciepts. I printed off bank statements and submitted.

They came back with the check, and explained I hadn't submitted proper reciepts so they were not accepting them.
        That sounds less like CRA not doing math than it does you not providing the specific documentation they requested. Your bank statements only show that money went out of your account. Receipts show that money went to your ex.

Comment

my husband goes through this every year. He usually prepares the spreadsheet with payments, spousal support , child support and total and asks her to sign. End every year, she refuses, and every year he needs to tell her that if she doesn't sign he will stop his payments and register with FRO and she will have to wait to get payments, and every year after hearing that she signs. It is a pain every year.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
            I was trying to claim spousal support on my income tax. I sent bank statements that show Interac email transfers from me to the ex. I also sent, as requested, a copy of the separation agreement which clearly laid...
            Do you add a note on the Interac email transfers, that specify an amount for spousal support? I would start doing that, if you aren't already, for the future.

Would your ex sign something to the affect that she received X dollars in spousal support from you during 2012? Not sure if that would help or if she's be willing (probably not willing).

I don't understand the spousal support stuff, as it is not something I have had to worry about in my scenario. Is claiming it somehow, a benefit to your ex? ie. Does she list this on her return? Do you guys exchange your tax returns? Would you be able to reference that, as proof of this?

Comment

I don't understand the spousal support stuff, as it is not something I have had to worry about in my scenario. Is claiming it somehow, a benefit to your ex? ie. Does she list this on her return? Do you guys exchange your tax returns? Would you be able to reference that, as proof of this?
              Trust me, there is no benefit to declaring SS as it is fully taxable to the recipient.

Many people prefer to pay/receive payments through MEP/FRO as you can get a print-out at the end of the year for your tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                Trust me, there is no benefit to declaring SS as it is fully taxable to the recipient.
                But does his ex have a choice in declaring received spousal support, or not? I remember some "choice" in regards to support payements, and agreeements before a certain date, but don't recall the specifics, and can't look it up at the moment on CRA site.?

I was just wondering if she had to delcare it (or if she chose to declare it) on her tax return, if DowntroddenDad could not simply reference her tax return as well, to show his claim? (if they were already exchanging tax returns/info).

Comment

I would have loved to have not declared the SS I received last year. However, to not declare it would have been unlawful as it is considered income for the purpose of determining taxation.

He could certainly use her tax return to help his case (if she declared the SS). Line 156 on her return would show the total SS received. Assuming she only has SS from one person, this number should match the number on his tax return as having paid to her.

A Notice of Assessment (NOA) does not differentiate income sources so he would have to have a copy of her actual income tax return.
                  Last edited by arabian; 12-13-2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                    That sounds less like CRA not doing math than it does you not providing the specific documentation they requested. Your bank statements only show that money went out of your account. Receipts show that money went to your ex.
                    If you send an internet transfer there is no paper reciept. Internet mail transfers show the name of the recipient.

The CRA did not specify anything other than proof. A bank statement is pretty good proof in most situations.

Comment

Do you add a note on the Interac email transfers, that specify an amount for spousal support? I would start doing that, if you aren't already, for the future.

Would your ex sign something to the affect that she received X dollars in spousal support from you during 2012? Not sure if that would help or if she's be willing (probably not willing).

Because my payments now go to FRO, who provide a reciept it is a moot point. My ex wouldn't sign anything, unless I gave her cash up front to do so.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X