This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lawyer/client relationship issues

Where do you find more information about lawyer/client in reference to relationship between the two? How about their code of ethics? Im sure there has to be one somewhere that protects the clients.
    I feel like I have been taken for ride.
    Gave retainer awhile back, asked his assistant for a bill while he was on holiday awhile back, now just got sloped with an outstanding bill (not even the whole $$ breakdown of all conversations/email/letters )and a new retainer and lawyer is not returning my phone calls.....
    Im not a happy camper right now. A reply was due last week and Im frustrated as heck right now. Ive called everyday, sent emails, contacted his assistant and feel like it's getting me no where!!!!

Without knowing exactly what you and your lawyer have been saying over the past weeks, it certainly sounds like you have cause for complaint.

Your Reply was due in, you've left messages, if there was a delay or he was in court, he still should have informed you what the timeline was for working on your case. You've been left hanging and you are under a great deal of stress.

F.A.Q.s - Complaining about a lawyer or paralegal

For example, we can deal with issues relating to a lawyer or paralegal's failure to reply to communications; failure to report on a transaction; delay; misleading, rude and discriminatory behaviour and failure to account for or improper handling of money.

Comment

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
      Where do you find more information about lawyer/client in reference to relationship between the two? How about their code of ethics? Im sure there has to be one somewhere that protects the clients.
      I feel like I have been taken for ride.
      Gave retainer awhile back, asked his assistant for a bill while he was on holiday awhile back, now just got sloped with an outstanding bill (not even the whole $$ breakdown of all conversations/email/letters )and a new retainer and lawyer is not returning my phone calls.....
      Im not a happy camper right now. A reply was due last week and Im frustrated as heck right now. Ive called everyday, sent emails, contacted his assistant and feel like it's getting me no where!!!!
      you can contact the law society and file a complaint against your lawyer.

Comment

I had to think about this one and so far glad that I decided to talk with him first.
        I ended up writing a FIRM email expressing my frustrations, regards to the outstanding account, etc and Im glad I did (at least I felt better doing it got it off my chest, then had to wait for the response was a little different story) and basically said if I didn't hear back from him in a few days, then I would seek another lawyer.
        I stated that I did not want to cause any conflict, that I still wanted to have him represent me ....
        And sure enough, got a phone call tonight, feel alittle better.
        Basically told him I didn't feel he wanted to continue to represent me.
        I love how he called and said thank you for the email...
        Last edited by tugofwar; 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM.

Comment

My lawyer is the same way and even worse. The only time I hear from my lwayer is when she forwards me stuff that my ex's lawyer has sent her. I am going to fire my lawyer this coming week. She is on holidays now or I would have fired her two weeks ago. I have had enough of this nonense. I hope your lawyer can start to help you but then again you may want to end the relationship while the going is still good and then find someone who truly does want your business.

Comment

I really didn't want to start this all over again. Trying to find a lawyer have to go over everything again. I haven't paid him the outstanding account and not giving a retainer right yet. We talked, I told him I thought we had a good lawyer/client relationship but was not happy with his delay with responding to me. I have gotten stronger with everything and if I am unhappy with something then I will let him know.
            I will not accept this again. If he does something again, then I will take it up with a senior member at the law firm.
            I think you just need to be firm, tell them what you expect from them, if you are unhappy about something then let them know.
            Im just hoping this was just a misunderstanding. I know he was busy with some court hearings these last few weeks but that doesn't give him the right or excuse to leaving me hanging.
            He knows so much about my case, I feel comfortable with him but I think now he knows that i will not be walked all over.
            I learned an expensive mistake in some of the non urgent emails I sent him etc. I have been more aware of the whole process thru reading literature, websites, this forum. The more you inform yourself, the less you will have to pay in the end.

Comment

www.lsuc.on.ca/media/rpc.pdf

found this website, found it helpful especially 2.08 about fees etc

Comment

How to reduce your lawyer's bill (in Canada)

If you think your lawyer has charged you too much for his/her services or disbursements (phone calls, photocopying, filing fees, etc.), you can follow this process to have a court official review th
                1. The important word to remember here is "reasonable". Many of us have no idea what it costs a lawyer to prepare a case, so take it easy. Accept the bill if it's just a little on the high side ... it may well be justified. But if it's way out of line, be reasonable about the amount you're thinking you should be paying.

PLAN "A":Take the bill and your list of his services to the Court House and ask for the Registrar. The Registrar has a "tariff" he uses as a guideline to assess whether a lawyer's bill is too high. The "Tariff of Solicitor/Client Costs" (sometimes called Solicitor/Party Costs) shows what the legislation deems reasonable for each service your lawyer has provided.
                2. Step 2
                  Tell the Registrar you want to apply for a hearing to review the lawyer's Statement of Account. This hearing is called "Taxation". The Registrar will send a Notice to the lawyer requesting him to draft a Bill of Costs. This may take weeks for the lawyer to prepare because it's a very detailed list of his services, coupled with the estimated costs of such services. Filing fees for a Taxation hearing are about $25 to $50, depending on where you live.
                3. Step 3
                  Since a lawyer usually hates to take the time and trouble to deliver a Bill of Costs to the Registrar, as well as risk damage to his/her reputation, the lawyer will probably call you and tell you he's voluntarily reducing his Statement of Account. If the amount he quotes you is reasonable, tell the lawyer to send you another Statement of Account which you will review and consider. If you wish to accept his offer on the spot, resist the urge, or be sure you tell him to mail or fax you his offer in writing. Tell him that he can consider the offer accepted once it is signed and dated by you and not before.

e bill and order the lawyer to charge you an amount that's fair.
                How to reduce your lawyer's bill (in Canada) | eHow.com

anyone attempt this?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X