This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsorship Breakdown

I'm finding mixed information about sponsorship breakdowns. Is anyone familiar with this?

My sponsor and co-sponsor locked me out of the house with my daughter. I went to the local police to help collect my things, including passport.
    After letting my sponsors know I will involve police to get my things back they gave me some back, but not my passport. I told my sponsor that I'd have to get on welfare and I needed help with a car. They told me that my daughter doesn't want a mother on welfare, its not good for her and told me to ask my parents for help.

I went through the embassy & my parents to get back home as it was urgent to get home with my daughter as our sponsorship breakdown was due to a new pregnancy and in which I had no car, no money, no home, no family, or anything at this point. And I was scared.

When we came back to Canada, I tried applying for assistance, but was told I didn't meet residency requirements and this also happened to me when trying to collect gst, octb, etc..I didn't meet residency requirements because I had left the country. I'm assuming my sponsors reported me leaving the country, but that's only speculation.

I read that if you didn't get on govt assistance, then there was no sponsorship breakdown. I tried asking for spouse support in court and mentioned I was an immigrant etc.. but it was never addressed or awarded to me. The courts in Canada seem to be a bit slow in my opinion.

Are there other ways to prove there was indeed a sponsorship breakdown other than going on assistance? I don't understand.

According to your earlier posts, you were not "sponsered", you were married and had permanent residence.

You moved back to Texas to live with your parents and informed the father by email. He made an application and had the child return with the Hague convention.

You are writing as though you were a housekeeper on working visa or something. Your "sponsership" didn't break down, your marriage did. You had options, like filing for divorce and CS and SS, or Welfare, but the option you took was to abduct the child to the U.S.

You assume your "sponser" reported you leaving the country? You don't have to assume this, you know that he reported that he filed in court because you had abducted the child to the U.S.

You tried filing for spousal support in court, you were refused. You are a permanent resident, that hasn't been taken away, you are capable of working. Because of the abduction, your ex has full custody. You should be working and and paying Child Support like any other NCP.

Comment

I was never married to my ex. My ex and his parents sponsored me. I wasn't writing to make it sound like I was a house cleaner of some sort.

I was never charged with abduction nor accused. The Hague Convention was involved for me wrongfully trying to change jurisdiction. I was 22 at the time of this and thought that because my daughter and I were both born an raised in the USA, that I could go back. I didn't know at the time that it only took 6 months for jurisdiction and to dully note I had only been in Canada for 9 months. I had a good case, which is why no charges and/or penalties were against me. Notifying my ex prior to leaving and while I was gone helped huge in my case.

I was never refused spouse support. I filed material asking for it and it was never addressed at a case conference, which led me to leave in the first place. My ex manipulated our situation and took advantage of me. I'm sorry you fail to see that. And I'm sorry you fail to see that I'm just trying to get some answers.

There was in fact a sponsorship breakdown. I've had everything taken away from me and yes, I may be looking for a break through for myself, that's because I want my life back.
      And to clarify, I do pay for my child. I just owe court costs in a enormous amount that I cannot afford. I work, they garnish my wages to where I make less than minimum wage, I just feel that just because I didn't go on welfare I am being shafted. I didn't know at the time that I had a choice or that going on welfare if what I was suppose to do until after the fact.

Comment

As far as the residency requirements, no I didn't lost my permanent residence, but I didn't meet residency requirements according to CRA and Ontario Works. I had to establish a residential address for a period of time before I was able to get GST etc back.

I am on the verge of losing residency due to the amount of time I have spent outside of Canada.

I know most people on here are bitter, but I wish that all of you could see that I didn't give up. I'm here to be with my child and be a part of her life whether my ex has custody or not. I'm still trying to do the right thing here.

Comment

I'm not too familiar with your situation and haven't gone through your past posts. However, I would just like to point out that if you're researching a subject matter like sponsorship, it would be best for you to consult an immigration lawyer regarding your situation. This forum is a great resource for family law related matters, but immigration law (and how it relates to or applies to family law) is a whole different kettle of fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkbug View Post

I know most people on here are bitter....
            Well that's a huge leap, and not likely the best way to go about asking for or getting advice. Hint: If you want something from someone, try not to offend them out of the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
              Well that's a huge leap, and not likely the best way to go about asking for or getting advice. Hint: If you want something from someone, try not to offend them out of the gate.
              I'll stand my ground when someone wants to label me, and yes key word "most" on here. I've had people sign up for this site just to come give me their opinion on my so called abduction.

I see from every point of view of my actions. But I'm here to take care of them and do what is right.

Comment

I know most people on here are bitter...
                I'm not bitter. Just sayin'.

Comment

And what of the second child? You mention your first child, custody issues etc related to said child and nothing of the second aside from the fact that your ex originally wanted you to get an abortion. So what's happening with custody/access of the second child?

Comment

Yeah that's the mystery part of the story that isn't mentioned again. Maybe she went through with the abortion?

Comment

As far as the residency requirements, no I didn't lost my permanent residence, but I didn't meet residency requirements according to CRA and Ontario Works. I had to establish a residential address for a period of time before I was able to get GST etc back.
                      I don't know your story... but I am curious to know why you think you should qualify for social assistance and things like GST rebates, if you aren't a tax paying citizen??

Specifically... why would you think you are entitled to "get GST back" if you didn't pay it in the first place?

Comment

You don't have to be a citizen to be paying taxes. I paid taxes. I wanted back track because I never knew I was entitled to such thing since I became a resident of Canada.

Comment

I've had people sign up for this site just to come give me their opinion on my so called abduction.
                          I've reviewed your previous threads, anyone who replied to you has been an existing member; no one signed up just to attack you.

What is it you want? What is your target, your goal here? First of all on the board, do you want advice or do you want affirmation that you have done nothing wrong?

In terms of court action, again, what do you want?

You want your ex to pay some form of support to you.

You want to base this on a premise of him having been your sponser for immigration to Canada.

You need to go back to your original paperwork; did he actually legally sponser you?

This paperwork would specifiy any time frame that he had to be responsible for you. For example it may say 5 years.

You are working, and fully capable of work. In most cases he is only responsible if you apply for social assistance, then the welfare office (whatever the title in various provinces) would seek compensation from him for any amounts paid to you.

Sponsership, if indeed this was the legal situation, can also help to validate entitlement to spousal support. If this is your path, again, you need to go back to your original documentation to provide factual evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                            And what of the second child? You mention your first child, custody issues etc related to said child and nothing of the second aside from the fact that your ex originally wanted you to get an abortion. So what's happening with custody/access of the second child?
                            I ended up having a miscarriage when I had left. I was unable to get progesterone shots that would help me carry the pregnancy as I did with my daughter. That's why there has been no mention of a 2nd child. However I do have confirmation of pregnancy and hospital record of trip to the ER.

Comment

I recall one person, I shall not name them but they're even on my feed and only their only posts were towards me.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X