This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouses belongings

If you are having a problem getting your spouse to pickup or arrange a day and time to pickup their belongings from your house can you get them a time frame to pickup their belongings before giving them away or putting them outside yourself for anyone to take?

A friend of mine suggested I should tell my ex that she has 30 days to remove all her items from my place otherwise I will put an add in the paper and free-for-all her items.

Also she keeps dropping by late a night .. has even tried to cohabitate here until she had to leave 2 days into her stay which I took the oportunity to lock the door. She never comes over during the day... I have started to distance myself from her, thus I hide out with the lights off at night.

LEathal

Leathal,

as you mentioned,

If you are having a problem getting your spouse to pickup or arrange a day and time to pickup their belongings from your house can you get them a time frame to pickup their belongings before giving them away or putting them outside yourself for anyone to take?
    Send them a registered letter requesting that they pick up their belongings. If these belongings are damaged, you could be held liable. Here is a scenario, what if a fire or a pipe broke and the belongings got damaged. Would your insurance cover the damage. Most likely not as they are not your belongings. This is something you need to look at. If a significant amount of time elapses and the belongings are still not moved, I would think the belongings are abandoned.

Also she keeps dropping by late a night .. has even tried to cohabitate here until she had to leave 2 days into her stay which I took the opportunity to lock the door. She never comes over during the day... I have started to distance myself from her, thus I hide out with the lights off at night.
    Send her a letter requesting that she stop visiting your residents or making contact with you. If the behavior continues after a formal request was made to cease, you may have to get a restraining order, and you will need a paper trail and proof of the harassment.

lv

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity
      Leathal,

as you mentioned,

Send them a registered letter requesting that they pick up their belongings. If these belongings are damaged, you could be held liable. Here is a scenario, what if a fire or a pipe broke and the belongings got damaged. Would your insurance cover the damage. Most likely not as they are not your belongings. This is something you need to look at. If a significant amount of time elapses and the belongings are still not moved, I would think the belongings are abandoned.

Send her a letter requesting that she stop visiting your residents or making contact with you. If the behavior continues after a formal request was made to cease, you may have to get a restraining order, and you will need a paper trail and proof of the harassment.

lv
      Hi lv,

The problem is I can not send to registered mail as I don't know where she's living now; sure I maybe able to follow her home one day if I see her but I don't want to be charged with stalking her.

Leathal

Comment

Leathal,

have a process server or friend deliver the letter to her. It may cost you a small fee for the latter.

lv

Comment

lv,

The strange thing is she has never made any friends while living here in the big city, her only friend lives up in the north pole region; okay lives very VERY north of Quebec were its cold 95% the year; her parents live in New Brunswick.

About a two weeks ago I hire a couple of guys to move her stuff from the all areas of the house and put them into one room, filling the room completely. The room is about 800 square feet. Anyhow her son emailed me this weekend to say he needs some of his stuff that's here too, the items he needed are packed in the back, and he also emailed me on the Ex's new hotmail address; so I emailed back saying it was not possible for the reason I just stated and I would advise the Ex to arrange for the movers to come and take all her stuff away.

She replied back saying I was playing games, and that since I told her parents I don't want her inside my place anymore how was she to arrange for the movers to come. I thought "duh!". So I told her arrange for them to come and remove your stuff, then tell me which day it is and I will be around to let them in. I also told her that this week was busy for me and that it would have to be Monday or Thursday.

Then I told her she has 30 days to remove her stuff otherwise it's going out on ths street. As it's already been amost 2 months since her stuff still has not moved out of my place.

I am legally able to have her stuff put outside after 30 days? I even sent her son, the ex, and her parents the same email with pictures in hand to show everything is packed into one room. (To show I wasn't playing any head games!)

I appreciate your help Lv.

Andrew

Comment

Forgot to add Lv, I do not know here new address or what her new phone number is.

Andrew

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X