Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Conference procedure

Hi all,
    Looking to get some insight to Case Conference procedure. I'm the Respondent Payor for about a decade. I did go to a CC early on, but that was with lawyers, now I'll be self-rep. I requested the CC as I have been out of work for a year and going back to school as nothing has been available in all this time. What should I expect at the CC? Do I present my case as per my 17A or that and reply to the other side's 17A and then they respond?

The CC is scheduled for late morning, how much earlier should I be at the courthouse?

Thanks for any insight.

"Hey Google! How do I change child support in the province of Ontario?"

Here you go: http://ontariocourtforms.on.ca/stati...EN-rev0610.pdf

Seriously... No one is going to sit and write out what you should do when you can simply ask Google.

Comment

Not much has changed since you posted this too:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=21241

Comment

Thanks for the above. The question was about actual procedure at the CC in front of the CC Judge. The forms etc. have been filled and filed. A Motion date has been scheduled if nothing comes of the CC.

Comment

Hard to say... They are informal conferences so a judge may meet with you in chambers or the courtroom.

Don't dress like an idiot but, don't show up in a 5000$ suit.

Judges are generally "small "c" conservatives". So, if you are a metal fan... Try not to look like Kerry King or Max Calderas. If you do... You have to be extra respectful. Like ass kissing respectfully.

You will have like 10 minutes... The judge will generally do most of the talking if both parties are self-rep.

Don't argue your case... Talk to how it can be settled.

Comment

Don't argue your case... Talk to how it can be settled.
            Thanks, that I'll have to keep in mind. But do I not have to respond to the other party's Brief? Guess I'm thinking it's a more formal procedure.

Comment

Briefs should be "BRIEF". LIke <5 pages.

Replies are not necessary. Briefs are tossed in the trash at the end. Not worth the time to put too much in them. YOu will have about 10 minutes before the judge generally.

Comment

Thanks. Mine was only a few points. The other side wrote quite a bit though, as they had my brief before they did theirs. Judge didn't think I put enough in mine, so asked what I wanted. Wasn't too long, maybe under an hour total....but took all day. Prepared a lot of stuff and didn't use any of it. Didn't get anything resolved. Told us to go to mediation to figure out what each had to "bargain" with and then to put in a Motion to get action.

Briefs were returned after.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X