Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some serious help

Hi

My son missed a lot of school. A LOT. Many lates too. 95 of all lates and missed days were from my home, not mothers.

The reason is, for most days it was due to my illness. The sickness is subsiding but the damage has been done.

My ex wants full custody and change of schools from my area to hers (30 minutes away) because she said I am not able to care for the child.

I am not going to let that happen.....if I can. Any idea on what to do, what to say in court once she files?

Thanks

Umm didn't you fight to keep the child in your area for school and now the child has missed 95 days of school? That is 3 months of school the child has missed, sorry but I would also be seeking a change in residency.

If you were too sick to take your child to school how could you even care for your child properly? I'm not sure how you could possibly convince a judge that 95 days is acceptable because you were sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Firstly, I apologize on Berner's behalf for her lack of empathy. I'm sorry to hear about your illness my friend, it must not be easy. Having said that, mom has a pretty solid case to switch residency. The child needs constant routine, stability and to make it to school on time. If you couldn't do it then perhaps you could have found some support that could for you.

I hope you get better. Take care.

Comment

I need more information, how many were complete missed days? and how many were late days? How late were they? Also what is the timeframe of these events.

What steps have to put in place or what resources have you looked into to facilitate you child getting to school? Is there a bus that can take you child to school? If you live too close, but is on the bus route you maybe able to have the school board make an exception and pickup the child on route provided the route doesn't have to change.

How old is the child? What are the issues surrounding the reasons why the child is late?

Lastly and most importantly how is your child doing in school? What are their marks? What is the school's position?

This sort of information can help create arguments and responses to what might be put before the courts.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Iceberg View Post
          she said I am not able to care for the child.
          Getting the child to school is a key part of taking care of the child.

I am not going to let that happen.....if I can.
          Why not? You said your illness is "subsiding", that means that it is still around. You are a risk to your child's future. Let it happen. Not everyone can be a good parent.

Imagine you said "I'm sick so my kid has missed eating, A LOT." Would that be acceptable? School is not much different.

Any idea on what to do, what to say in court once she files?
          "On consent, I agree with the mother's motion"

...that said, if you actually intend to fight this, then I think you need to hire somebody to bring the kid to school in the morning. That solves the problem completely. I'm actually surprised that you haven't done this already. If you can't bring the kid to school yourself, then you hire somebody to bring the kid to school.

Much like I work, so I can't bring the kid to school, so I pay somebody to bring my kid to school. This isn't a tricky situation, you are making something out of nothing.

Then you can stand up in court and say "Last year was terrible, but I have hired somebody and therefore this will never happen again. Due to stability for the child, status quo, etc etc nothing should change".

Comment

I don't think it's 95 days. I think he was saying 95%.

In another thread you said your ex caved and let you keep the school zone and that you would have 50/50 custody. You seemed pretty sure that she wouldn't be able to get him to school in the winter and you would be able to gain full custody because of that.

I was confused by your post at first, and in reading your other posts on other threads. Was thinking I had no idea that Iceberg is ill (possibly mental illness) and has issues with his ex having sex with her bf while the child is in her home. I then realized there are 2 forum users here with the same name.

Back to your issue at hand. Not sending your child to school is huge in the courts eyes. Your only defence is that your illness prevented you from getting the child to school. You will likely lose custody and school district.

I think you should consider agreeing to a custody arrangement that puts the child in Mom's district.

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
              Firstly, I apologize on Berner's behalf for her lack of empathy. I'm sorry to hear about your illness my friend, it must not be easy. Having said that, mom has a pretty solid case to switch residency. The child needs constant routine, stability and to make it to school on time. If you couldn't do it then perhaps you could have found some support that could for you.

I hope you get better. Take care.

He didn't ask for empathy but glad to see lovingfather came to the rescue again [emoji849]

Comment

Is there any evidence that Dad tried to resolve the situation (e.g. communication with the school about the lateness and absence, looking for other ways to get Kid to school on time, showing that he was concerned about the amount of school Kid was missing and tried to do something about it)? If so, he might be able to work something out with Mom. If not - if he ignored the situation until the school year was almost over - then I agree with other posters, he's not able to take care of Kid at present and Mom should have full custody.

Comment

Is "the sickness" substance abuse or addiction? If so, if Dad can show that he is adhering to a treatment program and not drinking/using, he might be able to argue that he will be able to take better care of Kid in the future.

Comment

The empathy comment was unnecessary. Especially since this poster has made many comments about his ex and her inability to properly care for the child. Im referring specifically to the comments about her sex life. Its obvious the two of you are now on equal footing as it relates to ability to care for your child.

Thats not to say that she should suddenly take the child away. This might be an opportunity for some humble pie and a serious attempt to work together. 95 lates/absences is really poor form ill or not. You should have had some support in place to help you out.

Agree with others that if you arent going to give up custody then you need to do some serious leg work to prove your illness was unexpected, under control and has no impact on your childs well being.

Comment

You didn't take your kid to school 95% of the time and didn't make arrangements for someone else to?

Also what other effects did your illness have? If you were unable to allow your child to get educated...what else is your ex going to say you neglected to do?

Frankly, this isn't an emergency...its an expected outcome of neglect. The emergency happened when this first started and you didn't formulate a plan.

Yea, I know...I'm not empathetic to this poster....but that's because I'm empathetic to his poor kid. Access to education is a human right that this kid deserved and frankly, I'm glad the mother is trying to get access...that's the right thing for her to do.

This is about the kid...not about the parents. This poster should be consenting to a custody change....very, very bad judgement.

Comment

Hey Iceberg - sorry to her you haven't been healthy.

Perhaps you can shed some light/offer more specific information?

95 late or late and absent... how many absents... how many lates?...how late is "late"? 5 minutes, 10 minutes.

Is your illness ongoing... chronic... terminal?
                        How is your son's health and how is he doing in school academically?
                        If he isn't doing well is there any possibility of tutoring?

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                          Yea, I know...I'm not empathetic to this poster....but that's because I'm empathetic to his poor kid. Access to education is a human right that this kid deserved and frankly, I'm glad the mother is trying to get access...that's the right thing for her to do.
                          This was actually really well said. Iceberg .. I think the mom wants what's best for the kid and school, routine and consistency is definitely what's best. Having said that I really wish you well and I hope you recover fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                            He didn't ask for empathy but glad to see lovingfather came to the rescue again [emoji849]

Sorry Rock & Berner if I upset you about encouraging posters to wish a fast recovery and good health to "anybody" suffering a serious medical condition (whether they ask for it or not). I didn't know that was frowned upon here. Read Arabian's first line of her last post .. that's all Im saying. There was a poster on here that committed suicide a while back. I just think it's good practice to wish good health when somebody's not doing so well health-wise.

I wasn't trying to rescue anybody or be negative in any way. I was raised to send positive vibes to those suffering an illness (Thanks mom). Geez .. tough crowd. :-)

As I mentioned, I do believe that mom is in the right here though.
                            Last edited by LovingFather32; 04-25-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by involveddad75 View Post
                              I need more information, how many were complete missed days? and how many were late days? How late were they? Also what is the timeframe of these events.

What steps have to put in place or what resources have you looked into to facilitate you child getting to school? Is there a bus that can take you child to school? If you live too close, but is on the bus route you maybe able to have the school board make an exception and pickup the child on route provided the route doesn't have to change.

How old is the child? What are the issues surrounding the reasons why the child is late?

Lastly and most importantly how is your child doing in school? What are their marks? What is the school's position?

This sort of information can help create arguments and responses to what might be put before the courts.
                              Missed around 40 days and been also late around 40. Some 15 days can be excused, most later are "excused late". Mother, however, has forced the child to school when he was ill. A few times school called to pick him up. Marks are not good but according to the teachers it is because of his misbehaviour at school rather than lates/misses.

The principal called me once and said he was about to call the government (cas). I made him not to. I have been talking to his teachers and I have been in touch with principal a lot. There were days when the child didn't wanna go to school. I called him and we solved that problem. If my son (grade 4) has no health issues this month he wont be missing any days. I work with teachers to improve marks.

My ex is NOT going to get what she wants. She was practically out of picture for 7 years and only this year she held on 50/50. The weird thing is she has been driving the kid to-from school, picked him up from my place. I haven't ddrove the child to her house almost a year. I never said I can't or won't, she just does it. IDK if that is another tactic but she has a lot to PROVE. Her word against mine.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X