No announcement yet.

Modifying child support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this on the Department of justice website, I might not be looking at the right place but it says that she would've had to send me a written request for my financial information, is this right or I'm I looking in the wrong place?

2. Continuing disclosure obligation after a child support order or agreement is made
    To ensure that children receive fair support that is based on up-to-date income information, there is an obligation for parents to continue to provide income information after a child support order or agreement is made. This legal obligation comes from the law, court decisions, and/or administrative services (for example, a recalculation service <sup id="fn3-rf"></sup>
    • Federal Guidelines: The Federal Guidelines say that parents who had to provide their income information to establish child support have to provide updated income information not more than once a year if they receive a written request from the other parent. This means that the parent sending the request for updated income information has the right to that information and that the other parent must provide it.
    • Changes in income: The Supreme Court of Canada said that parents must pay child support based on their most current income information.<sup id="fn4-rf"></sup> Therefore, parents should keep each other informed of changes to their income.
    • Order or agreement: A child support order or agreement may require a parent to provide income information to the other parent at specified times or in specific situations.
    • Recalculation service: Parents may also be required to provide their income information if their child support order or agreement is registered with a “recalculation service”.

Comment

No she has the right to ask not more than once per year. YOU still have an obligation to provide the info when it changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dad needs advice View Post
        I have a few questions about modifying a court order for child support. We have a court order that dates back to 2015 so many things have changed since but I have no idea where to even begin to ask for modifications. I have tried to talk with my ex to have this done without having to hire lawyers but she will not listen. We have 4 kids together, 3 of which are now adults. The oldest is 21 and quit university just before the end of her third year last february and moved in with me then so I don't think it is normal that I am still paying her mom for her. The second and third oldest (20 and 18)are away at university and they have their own apartment together, they come back to their mother's for the summer months. The 20 year old is in his third year of university and is going for a doctorate which will take 8 years to complete and the 18 yo is in her first year and still has 5 more years to go before she completes her program. The youngest is 11 and lives with his mother and I see him every second weekend because we don't live in the same city. I only have a grade 12 education and don't have a very good paying job (48000$/year). The two children living away are paying for their own apartment, food, school... everything, mom doesn't help financially but is still receiving cs for them. My questions are, should I still be paying full support? Also, will a judge ask a parent with a grade 12 education to pay for his children to get a doctorate? What are my options in regards to having changes made? Do I need a lawyer or is it simply a matter of filling out a few documents? Thank you for your time!
        Definitely get a lawyer to do it. You don't want it to be challenged later.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X