Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
    I definitely say no.

Like Exquizique said, if you pay in the interim, you're implying she's entitled to it and she hasn't proved that at all. In addition, you're setting up a status quo of paying her and now she can claim you're causing her a hardship.

Think of it this way, the court would prove her entitlement by using the disclosures you're waiting for. So all you have to show is that you requested the disclosures multiple times and she didn't supply them...how are you supposed to know she needs support with the absence of relevant materials? That she didn't supply them would seem to me to end the discussion about retroactive support.

I'm really surprised your lawyer is ok with you paying her without an order. Personally, I think by doing this..he's weakened your position...I'd stop until she files a motion and brings her evidence forward.

By the way: If you bank the money, just in case she proves entitlement, you're no worse off. But if you give her money in unsubstiated payments that she can't prove entitlement for in the future, what are the chances that you're going to get it back...or get it back without incurring court costs?
    Pursuing is making sense here too!!!... Yes the stbx and her lawyer threatened to go to court for an emergency motion..this is when my lawyer (she's female) said...let's throw some $$ at them to keep them happy..(so to speak)

It's not SS or CS (although thats what stbx is going after)...IT'S INTERIM SUPPORT" I know...it is tricky...I wasn't pleased either but with the stbx's lawyer whining about the stbx's health and whatnot...I was in a tight position really

Comment

As a receiver of SS I will throw my hat into this discussion:

I would keep money aside if you are unsuccessful and have to pay arrears.

I would not pay anything without an INTERIM ORDER.

Interim Orders can be good for both sides as it clearly sets out reasons, terms and length.

If your ex has no other income, and she hasn't provided financial disclosure, I would not pay any more until she provides documentation. Your lawyer can simply send a letter to opposing counsel giving them 30 days to turn over financial disclosure. If you don't receive it by that date then money stops. Often lawyers can make agreements simply over the phone and the two of you should be able to get an interim order by consent filed.

Just my 2 cents....

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
        As a receiver of SS I will throw my hat into this discussion:

I would keep money aside if you are unsuccessful and have to pay arrears.

I would not pay anything without an INTERIM ORDER.

Interim Orders can be good for both sides as it clearly sets out reasons, terms and length.

If your ex has no other income, and she hasn't provided financial disclosure, I would not pay any more until she provides documentation. Your lawyer can simply send a letter to opposing counsel giving them 30 days to turn over financial disclosure. If you don't receive it by that date then money stops. Often lawyers can make agreements simply over the phone and the two of you should be able to get an interim order by consent filed.

Just my 2 cents....
        thanks Arabian...she's already given financial disclosures..the disclosures I'm referring to helps decide on CS IF any any is entitled...again, long story I don't want to through out here in public forum...If you'd like a little more info on it, I can PM..

it's rather unique really...ask pursuing

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X