Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd recommend cancelling the joint bank account (My ex and I wanted to keep it (either for him or me...) and just change the 'joint' to 'individual' but the bank said we had to cancel it in its entirety, and then open separate ones) and opening up your own. Deposit to your own, and pay the bills from your own that you are responsible for. (What if your ex starts writing cheques that bounce, takes out the max for overdraft etc...Your credit rating is in jeopardy if you leave this joint).

The LOC my ex and I have still joint, but we immediately froze it so no more debits could be made against it, and only payments/credits. We both match each other every month which is lucky...but realistically if he doesn't pay it's my credit rating, or vice versa.

I'm don't have any answers for your other questions...will have to wait for someone else with experience in those areas, or suggestions to comment...Might be worthwhile starting a new post. Also do a search through past threads/posts for some keywords to see if you can find any past information on these topics.

Comment

the mortgage is held by a finance company not a bank so we had to supply a void cheque for monthly withdrawl, if i cancel account i dont know how i would pay mortgage...is it a good or bad idea to contact the lender and explain the situation?..and i will start a new post/thread about washer/dryer

Comment

your lender has heard it all. They much rather hear from you before the problem starts (non-payment) They will work with you to make a switch -- if you can get your ex to pay half. As long as they get their payments your finance company will be happy - more so if you are up front - they can even restructure your loan if that is what needs to be done. When you switch accounts they just say to keep both open until at least one payment or deposit is made into the new account - then the old one is closed. In your case it would be close it down now (every day it is open is every day you are open to your ex to "take the cash and run".) Your lender will understand and extra effort will be made to make sure your changeover goes smoothly.

Comment

will try that come monday..only problem is she doesnt always pay half, the last one due i had to scramble to borrow $ AGAIN to make up payment. its almost to the point that i should let it go into errears just so she cant stall anymore but on the plus side with the joint account i constantly have proof from receipts that i covering stuff that not i shoudnt have to...anyone gets a chance to look at my new post/topic i could use advice there too!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X