Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Lawyers view of self-representative litigants...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lawyers view of self-representative litigants...

I found this and thought I would share this with anyone who might like to read it. I found it interesting.

http://www.lawpro.ca/LawPRO/SurvivingSRLs.pdf

Thank you for that post, I too found it very interesting.
    I think the author makes a few assumptions that certainly have not been true in my experience: specifically, she implies that lawyers will always have to use caution when using legalese or advanced vocabulary when dealing with SRL's...
    Excuse me?
    I recently had to deal with a high priced (read over priced) and well respected Family Law lawyer who's correspondence was alarmingly full of spelling errors and bad grammar.
    I also took exception to the assumption that court costs are inevitably lower and time lines quicker when both sides have counsel. I doubt it! I've seen and heard of situations where lawyers seem to intentionally drag things out, thereby increasing their billable hours.
    Selecting the right lawyer for yourself is crucial.
    A bit condescending, don't you think?
    Otherwise, the article makes some great points...
    Thanks again!

Comment

LOL@ your excuse me! that was funny. I had just received a case conference brief from my ex's lawyer that was riddled with mistakes, bad grammer, wrong dates and she even refered to a police incident that supposedly took place on May 26, 2007. Her opening letter to me also stated that I had spoke to her assistant on March 9, 1007. I am not kidding! I had actually spoken to her on May 10, 2007. So go figure. I am so happy that my ex is paying for her, not me!!

Comment

Yup, I hear you...
        My ex spent over 2 grand to ammend our agreement with a lawyer who could not spell or get dates right, and I paid a great lawyer fifty bucks for a 15 minute conversation, just to make sure I knew what I should do...
        HA!

Comment

On the flip side, That paper also offers good advice for the self represented.

Its good practice having all communication in writing. Some lawyers may use their knowledge of the rules or legal system as an advantage over the other party. A good example would be serving and filing deadlines.

Some lawyers just don't play by the rules.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X