Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO Wage Garnishment

Hello everyone,
    I am looking for some help with regards to FRO garnishing 50% of my wages. Does anyone know what forms I need to file in order to get this stopped? I am in the process of getting child support changed, but FRO has gone ahead and did this anyways. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much

If you are currently before the court to get the amount corrected, then you should be able to speak to FRO and have it stopped pending decision. You'll have to update them each step along the way.
    If you're not in court yet, you need to start a motion to change application.

Comment

I spoke with FRO and even though I have a motion to change submitted, they will not stop the wage garnishment. Is there any motion I can bring forward to stop this in the meantime? Any help is appreciated.b

Comment

Did you ask them about a voluntary payment plan? If they refuse, there may not be anything you can do. Your employer would get into trouble if they don’t garnish.

Comment

Yes I did but they didn't accept my offer. FRO said I could bring a motion forward to stop this but to consult a lawyer. Was hoping someone new what paperwork needed to be filled so I can do myself? Thanks so much

Comment

If you have a Motion to Change in then you can file a motion to adjust child support and it can be done on an emergency order if it is causing severe financial distress.

Once you get in front of a judge at a case conference or settlement conference they can issue a temporary order as well.

Comment

Okay great thanks. So if I file motion to adjust child support is there anything else I need to file? I can't afford a lawyer nor do I qualify for legal aid so need to do this myself. Thanks for your help!

Comment

What part of the process are you at?

https://stepstojustice.ca/questions/...MaAqBUEALw_wcB

Comment

those flow charts do not mention DRO Case Conference, they just say Case Conference. Court says DRO CCs are different and after going to one you don't get the same options as you do a judge CC.

Are there flowcharts for the current in place process?

Comment

Did you file a motion already? I thought you had noted you started a court process? Its going to be a motion to change with a request to cease enforcement of arrears until an order is made.

There was another poster on here who had to do this as his ex files thousands with FRO and his license was suspended.

Look up “imadad” for his posts here. He self repped and his case wrapped up at trial last year. His ex was unreasonable and pushed to trial. Don’t get scared by that piece of info. He ended up winning his case.

Comment

I have filled motion to change. I am waiting for settlement offer so no court date yet. They are taking forever! I will take a look at that post and see. Thanks for your help

Comment

You can make an offer too.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                          Did you file a motion already? I thought you had noted you started a court process? Its going to be a motion to change with a request to cease enforcement of arrears until an order is made.

There was another poster on here who had to do this as his ex files thousands with FRO and his license was suspended.

Look up �imadad� for his posts here. He self repped and his case wrapped up at trial last year. His ex was unreasonable and pushed to trial. Don�t get scared by that piece of info. He ended up winning his case.
                          imadad had a support agreement.
                          It sounds like this poster has a support order.
                          Also there is DRO in play
                          Also the Poster here sounds like they may be having some financial issues if they are being garnished at 50%

imadad did file a motion get a restraining order so they couldn't take away his drivers license.

Are you saying this poster must wait until a trial to get CS adjusted?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabba13 View Post
                            I have filled motion to change. I am waiting for settlement offer so no court date yet. They are taking forever! I will take a look at that post and see. Thanks for your help
                            Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                            You can make an offer too.
                            Definitely, making an offer is an excellent idea. They have no incentive to do anything so do the work and make an offer.

Post here if you like to have things vetted and then have a lawyer vet it too. Then make the offer(s)

Comment

Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
                              imadad had a support agreement.
                              It sounds like this poster has a support order.
                              Also there is DRO in play
                              Also the Poster here sounds like they may be having some financial issues if they are being garnished at 50%

imadad did file a motion get a restraining order so they couldn't take away his drivers license.

Are you saying this poster must wait until a trial to get CS adjusted?
                              An agreement can be filed with FRO to become an order. He has a support deduction order and FRO is garnishing his wages. Imadad had an ex who took the agreement and filed it for child support and then filed thousands in school expenses as arrears.

Jabba has said nothing about DRO.

Imadad filed a motion to change support to get it updated AND asked for the enforcement to stop. The judge halted it and ordered a set amount to be paid monthly to FRO in advance of a final order. In the end, he overpaid.

The reason it went to trial is because his ex refused to settle despite three different judges telling her she was wrong. In the end, support was reduced and the expenses were already paid.

The details of his case arent relevant to Jabba. What he filed was. He filed a motion to change and requested an order to halt enforcement pending a decision. You WILL have to pay something but it hopefully won’t be 50% of your paycheque.

This is also a learning experience for future readers. Any agreement can be filed with FRO for enforcement if your ex wants to be difficult. The onus will then be on you to change it. DO NOT put your head in the sand or have the attitude of I’m not paying etc. FRO does not care. They have no feelings whatsoever. They are there to recover support and they can legally garnish your wages, tax returns and any other assistance you get.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X