This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we common-law?

My boyfriend and I have been living primarily at my place. He is there 5-6 days/week. He still has his own apartment where his mail is delivered. His sister is staying there while in school. If we continue to do this (live together, but technically have 2 separate addresses) are we considered as common-law?

Hi just to let you know if he is not paying rent at your home he does not live with you.There for you are not common-law.I hope this will help you.

Comment

Are you looking to claim common law status or not. If you have separate addresses, CRA does not deem you to be commonlaw. If he is living with you, paying rent and just letting his sister stay at his place, it could be argued that he is commonlaw. There must be proper documentation to prove that you are commonlaw status.

Is he trying to avoid this? It seems that may be the case from your post. If you feel he is spending most of the time at your place, you need to be assertive and insist that he pay his own way (rent, food, insurance, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy74 View Post
        Hi just to let you know if he is not paying rent at your home he does not live with you.There for you are not common-law.I hope this will help you.
        Um, I dunno wtf you heard this but there is NO truth whatsoever in this statement.

Comment

Good response Blinkandimgone!! I know little of common law but geeze.........

We all should be careful in what we post and what the other end may or may not do with it. I respect the efforts of many here who really go out of their way to pass on experience, wisdom and very detailed information on how to get through what is arguably for most, the most stressful and dificult time we may ever face legally. Many thanks to those posters who make this forum what it is.
          Last edited by ddol1; 09-21-2011, 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X