Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please be careful who you choose for help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please be careful who you choose for help.

Hi,

I have just been through a divorce. This has been one of the most emotionally draining things I have been through.

I have learned a few things along the way that I wanted to pass on.

Please, please, if you are needing any emotional support such as a social worker, marriage counsellor, therapist or the help of a lawyer please do some research on the person you are hiring. I really can't stress this enough!

I unfortunately went to a person in the Ottawa area who supposedly does it all... couples counselling, therapy, mediation, giving workshops on Relationships.
    As anyone going through divorce knows it can feel like you have been through the wringer...you can't sleep, you can't function at work etc..etc...
    I made the mistake of going to this person for marriage counselling, this person was claiming credentials they did not have. As a result of the counselling things took a dramatic turn for the worse. Because of this persons lack of professionalism and lack of credentials I had no recourse. Please make sure any persons you are seeing is registered with a college, university, etc... These persons have to operate under a certain standard and follow a code of ethics. Thus making them accountable for any wrong doing. If you hire someone who is not a professional...you have no recourse, these people have no accountability. Most professionals take additional courses, seminars etc..for the professional it is a lifelong learning process. The person with no credentials can sit back and relax..if they don't want to keep up...they don't have to.

Please...check and double check. I know at this time you are emotionally drained, confused and a multitude of other emotions. Ask a friend to do the research for you...I only hope you all will have a better outcome then I.
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X