Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 PM

Happyatlantic is on a distinguished road

Cool. Well I am not being paid for it later and considering when if he gets off his ass, he makes 3 times what I do, I am not paying SS either. I will not be accepting any more communication from her or him.

If she get an order, I will apply to the Court here to vary and if successful, I will send to Alberta.

I am just done with the stress and it interfering with my life.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:42 PM

I just talked to a lawyer from my EAP plan. They have suggested that I file in Nova Scotia for Nova Scotia to retain jurisdiction so that I may avoid Alberta getting an interim Order against me taking 70% of my pay check.

Seriously is this guy and his lawyer ever going to stop. Guess back in domestic abuse counselling for me. Hope it doesn't cause me to go back to a shelter.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry for what you are dealing with. My biggest fear is my ex doing the same and looking for financial support years from now. I try not to think about it because it causes me panic attacks. I have enough going on with my case still ongoing 7 years now. I see no end in sight effen blood thirsty lawyers. Stay strong. The
The money he will make you burn. I am so angry for you. Consult with a few lawyers and see what they suggest. I know in my case I've been told I show I have means to pay him SS by what little I have sitting there from equity of the sale of my home. There is not much there and my lawyer is eating it anyway. So don't show money sitting there that he will want his grubby hands on.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:47 PM

I have a deficit and i am in bankruptcy. This is extremely upsetting. By the looks of it he didnt disclose properly. I will apply to my Court to retain jurisdiction but because of finances wont be until after the court date.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:57 PM

Trying to take blood from a stone. If lawyers weren't money hungry assholes, they wouldn't be taking this case. You have nothing to give him but the lawyer is trying anyway. He gets paid and that's all he cares about. Sounds like it will end up in your favour but not without you having to burn money on legal fees to defend. Broken system.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:05 PM

I dont have money for a lawyer. I have to do it myself. My ex though he needs to be admitted to a mental health facility.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:40 AM

My ex should be in one also. Is psychotic but can't be forced to get care or take meds. Another broken system. So he keeps himself "disabled" and his lawyer wants me to pay him ss while he sits at home dreaming of pink unicorns. And the system is so effed up I am going to end up paying up, going bankrupt with two small kids to provide for on my own. Yup. The stable, hard working parent gets screwed over. I wish I could self represent. I wish you peace and much success.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:45 AM

I cant pay it - no money.

This is ridiculous though. The Divorce Act we have to work towards self sufficiency. Why bother if they can come back at you years later asking for spousal support.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:06 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

People can take you to court for many things at any given time... repeatedly.

Your situation will end up being handled through Interjurisdictional process. You probably will not set foot in a court room. If process is initiated in Alberta a PROVISIONAL order is sent by court in Alberta to Ontario. Ontario serves you and you will receive a package to fill out your response. Matter is then reviewed VIA WRITTEN SUBMISSIONS from you and your ex to a) agree with Provisional Order, b) request additional information or c) deny other court's provisional order. Then it is sent back to the court in Alberta. It's more of a hassle than anything. There certainly is no need to hire a lawyer to respond. If you can read and write and complete some forms then that will suffice. The onus is on your ex to prove entitlement. You never know, the Alberta court may reject it straight away. The process is long and drawn out. Because no children are involved it will most likely be floating back and forth for years. The lawyer who is hassling you from Alberta is just trying to make a buck. The lawyer will be slapped down and encouraged to read up on Interjurisdictional process. You should educate yourself as well - all information you need is on the internet.

Let your ex throw away money on lawyer.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 AM

The lawyer is requesting to change jurisdiction. She is likely a good enough of a lawyer to get that. Then i will likely have to apply in halifax to get it changed back.