Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:40 PM

plainNamedDad44 is on a distinguished road
Default Choice of two lawyers - which one to pick ?

Hi Community,

A friend of mine is getting a divorce. He's narrowed down his choice to two lawyers.

first one: Young, just got called to the bar, impressive academic credentials. Less expensive.

second one: Older, far more experienced, more expensive, but has more of an arrogance to him.

My friend says the new lawyer will be less expensive and thinks they will bust their butt for him, because of them wanting to make a name for themselves.

My friend also says the older lawyer, clearly has more experience so more expensive. but seems a little jaded and cynical, and likely views my friend as just another case file.

My friend is leaning towards the younger lawyer.

Which would you pick ?

Thanks

GLTA
Old 05-12-2019, 11:07 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

if he is leaning towards the younger lawyer then he should go with his gut. He obviously met with both so he got certain vibe off each.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:50 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

The experience doesnt really matter. If your friend understands his entitlements then the lawyer who is honest with him is the right one. My partner met with two lawyers for this second round. An expensive partner who brushed him aside and the junior person he has now. His current lawyer told him the truth and said what he can and cant win. All in line with the law. The lawyer said he can get behind a client who understands the law and is realistic.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:54 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

The younger one in a heartbeat. Iona brought this up on another thread, but it is hard to judge lawyer quality, and it is very unrelated to what they charge. So, all things being equal, I would go for the cheaper lawyer.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 AM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

there are a bunch of other factors I would look at, namely:

1. How complicated is his matter? What is contested? Where is he in the process?

Most importantly...

2. Who is on the other side?????

Young lawyers- credentials mean shit- don't bother caring what law school they went to (there are really no bad law schools in Canada).

other stuff that would factor in is how adept is your friend at doing 1st drafts of things- that could defray the costs of the more expensive lawyer.

Older family lawyers are cynical and jaded for a reason. They've seen shit.

Did he ask them what their strategy would be? What's the endgame? Ask them how they see things playing out.

Who's got the better/more seasoned law clerk? Where does the young lawyer work, v. the older lawyer?

Older family lawyers actually get a fair amount of deference from Judges cause they know them. Don't discount that.

Tell us more about your friends situation.

My answer- it depends.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 AM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Also- be careful of young lawyers trying to make a name for themselves. It can often mean hubris and bravado...both of which seasoned lawyers and judges like to cut down for fun (and...you know, teachable moments). At least in my area.

Young can also mean diligent, great at research, innovative, etc etc...
Old 05-13-2019, 04:51 PM

Karma2016 is on a distinguished road

If the case is not complicated, go with the younger lawyer. If there are corporations, shares, multiple properties, partnerships, etc. Go with the experienced lawyer.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:06 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I went with a younger lawyer who had a degree in business as well as law. My ex had an older experienced lawyer. My ex never won anything in court. His lawyer was not prepared and really was a disaster for my ex.

Paying more doesn't necessarily get you a better lawyer. Much of lawyer's bill can reflect how you are as a client and how much hand-holding you require.

I personally like a lawyer who takes instruction rather than one who only has eye on billable hours. Best to get yourself up-to-speed on current law and read plenty of case law and ask questions on this forum!

If an older, experienced lawyer is retained then take the time to question them on how accessible they are (return your calls/emails) and, as others have pointed out above, what their "game plan" is, in detail. Finally, with either lawyer, be sure to insist on detailed monthly invoices so you know where your hard-earned money is going.