Dating After Separation/Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating After Separation/Divorce

What is the forum's wisdom on starting dating - very casually - after divorce?

A year? Less? More?

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Comment

Each to their own.
      I was ready when I was ready and no sooner.

But if new partners are being brought around children, I would say minimum of a year after separation/divorce before the kids should meet anyone new in either parents lives.

Comment

Whatever time it takes to find out who you are - or rather who you've become.
        Hopefully you'll make good use of the hell of divorce and learn from it. I agree with OntarioMomma, take your time before introducing your children to any potential new partner.

It's lonely, but the time spent solo is not wasted - you really need to heal your heart before sharing it with another person.

Comment

I wasn't ready to even think about dating until almost two years post-separation. There's no rush. If your self-esteem is pretty low post-divorce (as is the case or most people), take the time you need to start feeling pretty good about yourself before you get out there, otherwise you might come across as needy or vulnerable.

I think the bigger timing question is once you start dating, how long to wait until you introduce a steady partner to the kids (if kids are involved). I've seen a lot of people jump the gun on this one. In my case, it was six months into a committed relationship before I was confident enough to introduce new partner to kids. Some people wait up to a year.

And don't forget to have fun. I found that once I was ready to start dating, I actually really enjoyed it - it was like getting to have that carefree socializing time that I missed in my early 20s.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X