Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support 1 child 2 relationships

Good afternoon all,

Question is: Can child support be paid for 1 child through 2 relationships?

Situation: I had a child with my ex in 2007. I left in 2008. We have 50/50 shared custody and I pay the offset amount child support to her.

I moved in with my current spouse in 2010, we married in 2014. She is not the mother of my child as seen above.

We are going to separate/divorce. I still have my daughter 50% of the time. The relationship between my daughter and wife (step mom) went sour.

When we divorce, with basically my wife being a parent to her for literally her whole life and living together for 12 years, by law could child support be granted to my daughter/me from my soon to be ex wife for the 50% of the time?

Essentially:
    50% shared custody paying my ex the table amount (which I do)
    and
    100% with no current wife of the 50% without my soon to be ex wife not having anything to do with her (which is what it will be)

Would just like an opinion on my rights before we see a mediator.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, loco parentis is a thing where 3+ people are paying child support for 1 child.
    But from the little you posted, I highly doubt you'll get it unless wife2 is extremely well off.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
      Yes, loco parentis is a thing where 3+ people are paying child support for 1 child.
      But from the little you posted, I highly doubt you'll get it unless wife2 is extremely well off.

Agreed.

In the cases of a step parent paying support, they have been “in place of a parent” in that they provided support for the family unit. Most (if not all) cases involve a step father and children with them full time.

I highly doubt you will get anything since you have your child 50% of the time and depending on your financial situation (ie you stayed home and your wife supported you), it is highly unlikely she meets a threshold for owing child support. Not to mention she will probably not have a relationship with the child after the split which would also reduce the need for her to support the child.

Comment

I would forget about it. It would just drag out the whole divorce. Your daughter has both her bio parents in the picture.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X