My day at court or self repped making a fool of myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toronto_father2 View Post
    the only issue left is that I`m seeking is joint custody....Ive excepted that the child will be raised with the mother (5hrs away) and I`ll have to do all the traveling for the next 10 years or so.
    Just prove your are a capable parent and are doing everything for the child that you can. That includes paying support on time, paying for expenses and keeping the peace, meaning not starting drama.

The judge will most likely award joint custody with primary residence and final decision making to mom, which is basically sole custody but at this point with your situation that is the most likely hood outcome.

It is hard to foster a relationship 5 hours away, I would recommend you move if you truly want to be an active parent in your child's life.

Comment

I have another child who lives close to me here....MOM1 and I get along great and there is no problems what so ever....If that was not the case I would consider the move.

The court did do offset on the support in consideration of travel cost and existing child support...the judge was very fair and I have no complaints at all about the court house ...its just the child so far away....I get to see the child from mom1 50/50....I`m just sad about the distance....

Comment

Why in the world would YOU do all the travel?
        YOU pick up to begin your time, SHE picks up to begin hers.

She obviously has the means to travel if she moved 5 hours away.

SHE moved unilaterally, ergo if ANYTHING SHE should be solely responsible for travel.

JOINT custody means you get a voice and a vote. DO NOT give her Sole or you will be relegated to an EOW bank machine.

Comment

Mom does not drive....so it falls to me to bridge the distance.

The court has been very fair in off setting support to help cover the costs of travel....Mom did not fight this and Its based on my visiting once a month...but I plan on 2 times a month...just have to cover costs for second visit myself.

Comment

Another issue is that the child will not develop a close relationship with their half sibling - because the mom moved away without regard to this or your access. Selfish mom!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X