Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:14 AM

dad43 is on a distinguished road
Default Child Tax Benefit and Child Support

Finally got things settled with CRA regarding who can claim kids, we have 50/50 custody and 2 kids, each claim one. What a pain in the a*@ that was!
Anyhow, looking for input regarding how me receiving the Child Tax benefit affects my child support? My ex (who makes approx. 4 times what I do) claims that they (courts) will now lower the amount she has to pay in CS because I am now going to receive this payment every month in the way of the CCTB.
Anyone have any experience with CS being changed because of CCTB?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

CCTB does NOT affect CS amounts. CS amounts are based on line 150, CCTB does not appear. My ex tried the same schtick, my lawyer shot it down immediately, the judge laughed at the argument.

Your ex and their lawyer will say anything to lower support payments. That should go without saying. Don't accept bullshit arguments. If you are willing to negotiate and accept a lessor amount for your own reasons, fine but don't be bullied or bullshitted. If you are willing to negotiate then your ex should give you full credit for doing them a favour, not lie their way into a lesser payment. And of course there is nothing wrong with you seeking the full table amount.
Closed Thread