Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 AM

DadofTwoGirls is on a distinguished road
Default Dealing with FRO

I just got a letter from FRO stating that I'm $3500 in arrears. This is not true and last June I faxed them a letter with all documents to show that I'm up to date. Of course, they never replied and they have never replied to any of my letters.

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with these clowns? I am inclined to take them to court to have them acknowledge that I'm paid up to date.

Ex is uncooperative and I wouldn't be able to get letter from her stating that there are no arrears. However, if she was called to court then she wouldn't lie.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Fair4All is on a distinguished road

I would request a statement from FRO showing all the payments made. This will cost you approx $50. Then you can compare this to your list of payments and show where they are in error.
If you haven't filed your income tax return with CRA, and can wait to do this (ie you're expecting a refund), I'd suggest waiting until you've sorted out the FRO issue. Otherwise, CRA will withhold the amount FRO claims is in arrears. Then you'd have two agencies to deal with to get the issue sorted...
Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 PM

DadofTwoGirls is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. What I did was called the FRO. Apparently there are two issues in my case. First, a "Statement of Arrears" was filed by recipient. I filed a sword affidavit showing that I was not in arrears. In that situiation, the recipients statement is taken as "true" and the payors statement is disregarded. They said they do not mediate and act on behalf of the CS recipient and the kids. I solved that by having the recipient deal with the FRO and lickily she did that.

The second place arrears were accruing was because I filed a "Minutes of Settlement" without having it registered with Family Court. Apparently they need that to be done.

I asked the FRO why they haven't responded to my fax from Jun 07 and told me about their position. The lady said that they don't do that. They only send out form letters. She also mentioned that they have over 4000 files and they are greatly understaffed. She understood my frustration. I got the impression that she knew very well that their system is dysfunctional.

Lastly, I also submitted a Privacy Act request to obtain all of the information the FRO has regarding my file. The request cost me $5. I don't have the response yet but will update when I do.
Closed Thread