No announcement yet.

New baby on the way. Can I end Spousal Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think everyone should support their own children - first spouses and subsequent ones! I tell ya, there is a whole lot less bitching when you aren't trying to suck someone else dry!

Comment

^and according to the OP, the first wife has been imputed full time, minimum wage. Now, the 2nd who was two kids, no cs and no ss... is she on welfare or subsidy? How is she making ends meet?
      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by c800957276 View Post
        Not self created. Brought purposely by someone refusing to work with the sole objective of obtaining spousal support.
        Just wondering - does your new lady work to pay for her children since she is unable to receive Support from the father or does she refuse to work and depend on your income?

If I were a judge (and thank GOD that I'm not) I would ask you why you went ahead and created another child to care for when you feel that you cannot afford to care for the one you already have + two more that your new lady already has? I'm thinking that a vasectomy might have been a better solution to your money problems, no?

Comment

It baffles me that payors will pay CS and SS and then remarry have a baby with somebody who has no CS/SS (in loco parentis my friend) and have another baby with them.

I can forgive the first marriage, but wasn't 5 years of paying somebody to sit at home and do nothing enough of a wake up call....

Personally I think anything you do is pointless; mid 2015 is 6 months away... hopefully SS ends and you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by c800957276 View Post
            Hello,
            Quick summary: separated in 2010, legally in 2011, went to trial in late 2013 and have joint custody of a child, while having to pay Spousal and child support. Spousal is up for review in mid 2015. I pay a lot of money, and I'm in a little bit of hardship.
            Met someone over a year ago and we are expecting a child. I just want to get your opinion on whether or not this is a sufficient enough change to either end or reduce spousal support for my ex.
            I'm going back to court at the end of this month.
            My new partner has two children from a previous relationship and does not receive child, much less spousal support (deadbeat dad).
            Whats your opinion on this?
            Your reasoning would not be sufficient enough. However, your SS review is only 8 or 9 months away. Since this date is already set, in a few months (Jan at the earliest) you will be able to proceed, without the burden of establishing a material change of circumstance, with requests for full financial disclosure, efforts to become gainfully employed, etc. from your ex. It would be even better if you have a clause in your agreement stating the spousal support review will be completed within one month of the review date; this will give you reason to start in Jan or Feb, because there is zero incentive for support recipients to expedite a process that can easily take up to 6 months to resolve.
            You are fortunate that your ex has already been imputed with minimum wage. Hopefully your agreement included some wording about her best efforts to become employed to her full potential by the review date. If so, you should be able to pursue higher imputation based on this potential. This imputation should not only reduce the quantum of SS, but also reduce the amount you pay for section 7 expenses. And you should definitely pursue a termination date within acceptable, reasonable norms based on factors such as the length of your marriage, her entitlement, etc., but not based on your unborn child.

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
              Yes, the second wife is a bit of a leach if she doesn't do anything to support her own children. The leachiness comes into play when she expects another man to take care of children that are not his, to the point that caring for HER and HER children make him unable to care for HIS.
              Well my new partner is a very hard working and responsible person, so she is no leech. Obviously supporting two children and paying for all house expenses is hard on one income, but she expects no help from the deadbeat.
              We get together, a child happens, I'm responsible for my child, and grin the one on the way, but I don't want to be in a position where I can't buy diapers because my ex is intentionally unemployed.
              I need to be able to provide for my children.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                I think everyone should support their own children - first spouses and subsequent ones! I tell ya, there is a whole lot less bitching when you aren't trying to suck someone else dry!
                That's right!
                It's all about money. And some parties want full custody to get more money.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                  ^and according to the OP, the first wife has been imputed full time, minimum wage. Now, the 2nd who was two kids, no cs and no ss... is she on welfare or subsidy? How is she making ends meet?
                  My new partner is employed, and a hard working and responsible person. It's hard on one income, and now that there is s baby on the way I will obviously take responsibility and provide, but I don't want my children's needs to be subject to someone else's irresponsibility.
                  My new partner and I were starting to think about moving in together, right now we live apart. We both have our expenses. Now the baby comes so we need to speed everything up.
                  Because of SS, I live paycheque to paycheque. So I usually can't afford extracurriculars. My son is being denied of these not because of my inability to contribute but because of my ex's irresponsibility and decision to not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
                    Just wondering - does your new lady work to pay for her children since she is unable to receive Support from the father or does she refuse to work and depend on your income?

If I were a judge (and thank GOD that I'm not) I would ask you why you went ahead and created another child to care for when you feel that you cannot afford to care for the one you already have + two more that your new lady already has? I'm thinking that a vasectomy might have been a better solution to your money problems, no?
                    Dude seriously?
                    I forgot to add some details, so read the new posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                      It baffles me that payors will pay CS and SS and then remarry have a baby with somebody who has no CS/SS (in loco parentis my friend) and have another baby with them.

I can forgive the first marriage, but wasn't 5 years of paying somebody to sit at home and do nothing enough of a wake up call....

Personally I think anything you do is pointless; mid 2015 is 6 months away... hopefully SS ends and you are good to go.
                      Fingers crossed...
                      You never know...

Comment

You never know...
                        My ex had been able to deceive judges for two years now. Good knows what she's going to come up with in 2015...

Comment

Fingers crossed. You never know. The ex has been able to deceive judges for three years now. Good knows what she is going to come up with in 2015...

Comment

So instead of your child not being able to have extracurricular active due to SS, he will not have them due to new baby...?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                              So instead of your child not being able to have extracurricular active due to SS, he will not have them due to new baby...?
                              The ex has to put her big girl pants on and get to work. Then he will have what he needs. And if I get SS reduced/terminated, I can afford everything he needs.

Comment

I hope you realize spousal support is privatized welfare and nothing to do with what is fair.... If she isn't self sufficient barring a judicial miracle or special circumstance they will not end SS.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X