Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 PM

rhender is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the advice. I have not been responding to the countless messages from step mom. I am currently deciding which attorney to hire to at least get my ex to address concerns with the parenting plan and support update. The kids are at an impressionable age and I don’t want them to think I ignored all the inappropriate narcissistic behaviour of their step mom. My oldest is 12 and has figured it out. He is seeing a new councillor but step mom insists she attend and is trying to control what he says - sigh. Plus they have been threatening me for a couple of months so it is clear we need a more defined parenting plan at a minimum.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:15 AM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

You should put your foot down that the step mom NOT attend counselling with your child. That is beyond wrong on so many levels. You need to rescue your child from this woman! Ask for a judge to order she NOT be present when your child sees their therapist!!!!!
Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

You let the therapist handle that one. They can put their foot down on it. She won’t listen to you.

Going to court to get your ex to take his balls out of her purse is a waste of time and money. Do it to update child support but as long as he lets her control him, nothing—including a parenting coordinator—will make it stop.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhender View Post
The kids are at an impressionable age and I don’t want them to think I ignored all the inappropriate narcissistic behaviour of their step mom.
Hiring a lawyer to prove a point to a kid is a very expensive lesson, and one that will probably teach something other than what you expect.

Quote:
He is seeing a new councillor but step mom insists she attend and is trying to control what he says
It might be useful for councillor to see what step mom is like, it could help inform the therapy. I'm sure councillor will ensure that stepmom is gone soon enough. No need for you to start a battle over this one.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:58 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

*tiptoes in*

it's counsellor, not councillor.

*tiptoes back out*
Old 09-18-2019, 03:53 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
*tiptoes in*

*tiptoes back out*

I was going to say something but simply spelled it correctly in my post.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:19 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
Fair point, spelling matters. I'm not going to go to my local politician for marriage advice.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhender View Post
I was hoping with my son being gifted, we could get coaches to write a letter that it is hurting his potential for professional sports and scholarships.
Sports scholarships are a pipe dream.

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/10/13/thin...ink-again.html

Quote:
Just 3.3 percent of high school seniors playing men's basketball will have roster positions on NCAA teams as freshmen—with or without scholarships, according to NCAA data. For women, the figure is 3.7 percent.The odds are almost as slim in men's soccer, football, and baseball. The chance of getting an athletic scholarship is even smaller, even for students whose parents can devote the hundreds of hours--and thousands of dollars--that high-level youth sports often require.

Put another way, the odds of landing a college scholarship in many major sports are lower than the chances of being admitted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford.
You are better off just saving the money for a real educational opportunity that you will have to pay for anyway.

Your kid has a better chance of being drawn in The Reaping after the apocalypse. "May the odds be forever in your favour."

Last edited by Tayken; 09-24-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Tags
co-parenting, step parent