Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:27 AM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

I donít know anyone one talks to their grandparents every day, whether intact or divorced families. Thatís seems really unusual. Maybe if you lived in same house but otherwise no. Ex and I do not talk to kids daily when at other households, only if have an actual reason to call. Most of the time we donít call. This seems like overkill for a 12 yr old. My ex did get a phone for one of kids and did have a stipulation must be available at all times. This didnít last long as it is completely impractical and unnecessary. I canít remeber why it stopped.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:46 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
My ex has provided our son (12 years old) with a cell phone which he insists must be switched on and be kept by our sonís side at all times when the child is at my house.

Dear ex,

I have laid out some ground rules regarding cellphone use at my house. Unfortunately, they are not compatible with your expectation that the phone be switched on and available to our son at all times.

I do not anticipate this changing in the near future. If you have any concerns, feel free to contact me at this email address.

As usual, if there is an emergency situation, I can still be reached at 416-555-5555

Sincerely,

Me

Quote:
he thinks he is going to get in trouble because he missed a call from his dad.
Time for parental interference. You take the blame, as said above. Make it clear that son has no say in the matter.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 PM

Nadia is on a distinguished road

Thank you Janus.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:36 PM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

My kids hand their phones in to me one hour before bedtime. Their psychiatrist said they should not have any screen time 1 hour before bed to promote sleep. The phones are turned off and kept in my room. Besides the low level radiation phones give off may not be healthy to sleep beside every night. In the past when my ex called it was a scheduled time. That way I made sure the kids wrenít busy, talked to him and it didnít interfere with other activities. If your ex wants to phone randomly it should be hit and miss. You are no longer married. His expectations are unrealistic. He needs to get with the new program.