Sperm Donor and CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also from FWB earlier this week: AND I QUOTE:

''So it will only make sense that words that are not yours, get put in quotes. It's plagiarism if you don't quote''
    "bonne journée "

Thank you for explaining plagiarism to me ....
    Last edited by Jeff; 01-25-2014, 03:55 PM. Reason: Snipped quote

Comment

But no it wasn't him - it was the the other guy, you know - the guy on the Nigerian forum!

Comment

Good lord, are you crazy? Or playing games so you will get thrown off again and so you can be a martyr?

It's easy to see why some people are divorced.

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
          Another typical day in Ottawa divorce forum ... (my own comment btw)
          It shouldn't be typical. Such behavior is atrocious.

On every other forum I participate in, this would be grounds for a permanent ban (after several warnings of course, but in this case, I believe those warnings have been posted, no?). This is now a Mod matter, for them to review and discuss.

I have, however, taken the liberty of sending Ethan a message, advising him he has an admirer.
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this to my attention mcdreamy!

Of course, attribution should be given for any quotes.

As well, it is never appropriate to quote an entire article or other text - just a snippet of the quote should be given, with a link to the original.
            Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Don't let the above blip stop the discussion on this thread,

Originally posted by Serene View Post
              This discussion provided a lot of information. I don't recall the exact statistics but it went on to say that because we don't pay for gametes here that many men do not donate their sperm (lack of incentive to do so). But there are a FEW that do. These few tend to donate and donate so much so that there were over 50 childRen in Toronto in a 50 mile radius that are related as they all share the same donor. And the number could be higher since there is no registry for these donor babies (it is also not recorded on their birth certificates or in a birth registry, only at the clinic that inseminated them and there is no onus to report if that insemination resulted in a successful birth).

So these kids are running around in a relatively small geographical space not knowing they are related to one another!
              I've acted as the intermediary in 2 private donations, the only people who know the names and locations of the recipients are myself and the clinic staff.

I thought about the future potential of any live births encountering each other in adulthood, but I'm not sure there is a way around such an encounter unless there was a registry of some sort created? And then does the privacy of the donor, the recipient, etc., take priority over any disclosure requested by the live birth. What a potential mess.

We've agreed zero contact, unless a medical emergency of some sort arises (the siblings of these donations are already on the ground, with the donor families).

Comment

I've acted as the intermediary in 2 private donations, the only people who know the names and locations of the recipients are myself and the clinic staff.
                Bless you.

I thought about the future potential of any live births encountering each other in adulthood, but I'm not sure there is a way around such an encounter unless there was a registry of some sort created? And then does the privacy of the donor, the recipient, etc., take priority over any disclosure requested by the live birth. What a potential mess.
                So this is what the discussion/forum that I attended was about. The case was still in Supreme Court but I am willing to bet it is over and done with now. I'm also willing to bet that the donor's identity WILL be revealed. It is the donor child's right to have this. And the adoption babies get this, so will the donor child's. Of course, the donor has the right to not engage with the child and the choice to initiate contact is the donor's after being contacted by the child.

We've agreed zero contact, unless a medical emergency of some sort arises (the siblings of these donations are already on the ground, with the donor families).
                Curious - Do you know if the children were raised always knowing they were donor babies? What was the plan to communicate their paternal history? As the meeting I attended had several adult donor babies there and we heard a very common theme that they all wish they had been told from the get go. We also had psychologists that also explained why it is so important to discuss this with the child at the earliest opportunity.

Comment

Bless you.

So this is what the discussion/forum that I attended was about. The case was still in Supreme Court but I am willing to bet it is over and done with now. I'm also willing to bet that the donor's identity WILL be revealed. It is the donor child's right to have this. And the adoption babies get this, so will the donor child's. Of course, the donor has the right to not engage with the child and the choice to initiate contact is the donor's after being contacted by the child.

Curious - Do you know if the children were raised always knowing they were donor babies? What was the plan to communicate their paternal history? As the meeting I attended had several adult donor babies there and we heard a very common theme that they all wish they had been told from the get go. We also had psychologists that also explained why it is so important to discuss this with the child at the earliest opportunity.
                  My daughter went to school with a "donor baby", and I don't think she was aware, at that time anyway, how her birth came to be.

But, same sex couples go through the same ugly separations and divorces that other couples do. And this child was a victim of that. Two bitter women fighting over the custody of a child that was conceived from a donor sperm being implanted in one of the women's sisters.

So, imagine how complicated that becomes. When your two parents aren't your bio-parents, but rather your bio-aunt and ex partner.

We moved, so we don't see the little girl anymore, so I haven't a clue what the whole outcome was, but at 7 years old, she was already the victim of a huge, complicated custody battle.

Comment

I'm not aware of any plans in the future of the donee parents disclosing, but we didn't really discuss that at the time.

Both donor families insisted on "closed" transactions and they do not want, in any manner whatsoever, contact in the future. I have not advised the donor families (as per their wishes), whether the transfers were successful or not. If the donor families had anticipated there would be future disclosure, I'm fairly confident they wouldn't have completed the adoption, and the embryos would have been discarded instead.

Looking back, frankly I'm not sure what type of "medical emergency" would cause me to reveal identities, either. Hopefully we will never get there.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X