Table Amount while Child in University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Amount while Child in University

Child 18 . Lives in residence away from both parents city. Non custodial parent pays one half of tuition , residence, meal plan and general allowance. Child may live with custodial parent during summer while univ is not in session. Custodial parent's home is clear (no mortgage )

Given that food accommodation and incidentals during academic year are specifically paid, can people comment on general approach to table amount in the above circumstances? Thank you

Addendum - also pay one half of textbook and supplies

Comment

Rule of thumb is 1/3 to child and 2/3 split proportionate to income (whatever s7 % is). Cs is for four months while at home.

However, every case is different and a judge could rule differently. Do a search on this forum for post secondary or cs while in university and you'll find a bunch of stuff.

Comment

Maxwell - why is the non custodial parent paying this much? By his/her own will or via an order? I ask because I assume the precedent has been set if it's by his own accord.

Comment

I haven't seen it anywhere that CS is for four months only when child lives at home, this is impractical as the recipient parent is maintaining a home/room for the child year round, it's not like the space goes away when the kid is away.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
            I haven't seen it anywhere that CS is for four months only when child lives at home, this is impractical as the recipient parent is maintaining a home/room for the child year round, it's not like the space goes away when the kid is away.
            I've seen it pop up in a number of posts.

There is no black/white answer for this when asking whether CS should still go to the parent if the child is living away, because although you are correct in stating that they still have to maintain the room, a lot of the consumable costs like food and utilities go away.

In an ideal world, all parties would collaborate and create an adjusted amount that reflects the need to maintain the primary residence, but also ensures that some of the money goes directly to the child that is now paying for various consumables.

It's the second day of a New Year. Can I be naive for at least a little while?

Comment

Non custodial parent not requiring child to work in summer so that child can secure non paying research work to enhance CV for post undergrad application to professional school. Parents have equal income so agreed to pay half of univ expenses.

Custodial parent would likely go to court if one third table while at univ and full when not is not

Comment

Sorry .... If above not agreed to. Likely results in a windfall to non custodial parent, however court is uncertain and lawyers cost. Therefore non custodial parent probs will suck it up buttercup

Comment

Correction windfall to custodial parent.

Comment

Im confused who youre asking on behalf of? NCP or CP? If its a serious question about costs and they cant agree then it might be in best interest to get the courts decision. NCP doesnt want kid working but is questioning all these extra costs? CP has to pay half of total? They make the same income?

I ask because my partners SA says that CS will change when children are away AND the ex makes three times his income. As his lawyer said "you are not responsible for her inability to live within her means". But for other CPs, they may be struggling financially which is why CS is either maintained or reduced but not ceased.

If the parents are able to agree on cost splitting they should be able to work out the rest or they should really get a judge or mediator to help. Half of residence costs is big bucks that normally works out to more than monthly CS. That doesnt say winfall to me, it could be considered childs portion of costs.

Comment

Question concerned table when child is away at university and was asked on behalf of NCP. As you are aware,the table amount is not impacted by recipient's income or needs. Assume two CP's each own a home. CP1 has large mortgage payments while CP2 does not have a mortgage. Each would receive the same table amount. The child's tuition, texts, meal plan, health costs and residence are split equally based on their equivalentincomes. The costs are not a burden on either. NCP does not have mortgage.

Comment

This makes no sense. Why would both parents receive table amount if one is a "non custodial parent". There is only one payer of CS in your example.

Mortgages have nothing to do with this.

Comment

Table is a large amount. Child's only expenses not specifically paid for as set out above would be clothing. Note child is given a sizeable allowance. Therefore it seems the only cost related to the child are a portion of the CP's personal residence cost. Where table amount is high it far exceeds CP's housing costs . In other fact patterns the table amount may be insufficient eg. NCP has low income. Point being, table is not referable to needs. In the case I query reduced table far exceeds even one half of annual CP costs. Arguably a windfall.

Allocation of education related expenses based Your limited facts would suggest

Comment

Based on trends though not always- child contributes 1/3 if she can, parents pay proportionate to their respective incomes. Table is often reduced to amounts ranging from one-half to one-third of full amount while child is away and full for the summer. However I have seen cases where it is not. All of this is based on limited review of cases. I am by no means an authority. Your specific facts and the dynamics of the process of reaching agreement will important in determining what reduction to table after child is away. I assume that the CP currently pays a higher proportion of the add ons or extras based on her much higher income. Of course terms of existing agreement or order is also relevant on how you move forward.

Comment

Clothes are paid out of CS, allowance is an optional thing and the responsibility of the person who decided to give it, completely unrelated to the other parent as it is most certainly not a requirement and counts towards nothing. CS also covers expenses relates to the CP maintaining a home all year round for the kid, ie: utilities, taxes, insurance, furnishings etc. Those expenses don't go away the months the kid is at school

CS is based on the payor's income, not the expenses of the recipient or whether either has a mortgage.

University / college expenses often get split three ways, a third to the student and a third to each parent.

You state the costs are not a burden, so what exactly is the issue?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X