Material Change in circumstance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Change in circumstance

My child support is calculated based on income from full-time and part-time jobs. Effective end of February 2021, I will not be working my part-time job because I will be starting my Master's degree part-time studies in September 2021, I will use the 6 months to prepare myself for school as it is an intense program.

Is this considered a material change? the part-time job contributes $25 000, half of my full-time job income.

It's probably a material change in circumstances, but that doesn't mean your full income couldn't be imputed to you.

The court can look at the nature of the program and the reasonableness of your career ambitions. If you plan to increase your earnings significantly, it could be a justified plan. If the chances of your earnings increasing are slim, then they'd be less sympathetic.

I will use the 6 months to prepare myself for school as it is an intense program.
    This doesn't make any sense to me, and sounds like you'd be inviting imputation (at least for the 6 months). Unless you can demonstrate the clear need for this to succeed, it sounds like one demand too many.

Comment

so you are still going to be working full time but just giving up the part time job?

Comment

I am quitting the part-time Job.

Comment

It just means your income changes and cs should be updated. Is there a clause in your agreement to update annually or if circumstances change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you everyone for the feedback much appreciated.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X