Divorced without consent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorced without consent

I'm desperate for advice. I have a brain Injury with vision related issues so understanding this is extremly difficult.

I don't understand what happend.

My spouse applied for divorce when he had been out of the country for years. He is a citizen.

I filled a counter claim and sent in my financials.

Next I'm divorced!

My lawyer signed without me knowing.

He's signed away my spousal support too.

There are assets

My spouse took our dog and he refuses to give me any information about her.

Please help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

You need to get a lawyer to review your case. Anonymous strangers on the internet is not where you should turn

Comment

It may be that they've approved the divorce while they're still working the rest out. Go to the court and speak to the clerk to find out what's happening, then speak to a free lawyer while you're there.

There are a few disabled members here. Feel free to ask any and all questions!

Word of caution, as this is anonymous, you'll also find members here openly mock the disabled and you may get penalized for complaining. Same for "victums" who clearly come off as the abuser in each post. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Comment

ummmm tried a lawyer and got screwed over.

Isn't this forum for advice from Anonymous strangers on the internet???

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Comment

Thank you for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
              You need to get a lawyer to review your case. Anonymous strangers on the internet is not where you should turn
              Why are you here? Isn't this what this forum is for? Advice

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
                Your local family law courthouse will have Duty Counsel during working hours where you can have a consult.

You can also go through the Law Society of Upper Canada and get set up for a free 30 minute consult....although not much 'advice' is given during those consultations.

You may also look into whether you qualify for Legal Aid.

Some employers also provide legal consultation through an Employee Assistance Program.

Some lawyers will also have a 30 minute consult with you...but ultimately this is more of an interview with you in efforts to get you on as a client.
                Thank you I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by StillPaying View Post
                  It may be that they've approved the divorce while they're still working the rest out. Go to the court and speak to the clerk to find out what's happening, then speak to a free lawyer while you're there.

There are a few disabled members here. Feel free to ask any and all questions!

Word of caution, as this is anonymous, you'll also find members here openly mock the disabled and you may get penalized for complaining. Same for "victums" who clearly come off as the abuser in each post. Take everything with a grain of salt.
                  Thank you. Yes, some people

Comment

Originally posted by janet612 View Post
                    ummmm tried a lawyer and got screwed over.

Isn't this forum for advice from Anonymous strangers on the internet???

Not all lawyers are bad and depending on what the paperwork says, it may not be final.

Is there an option for an advocate or accessibility support? If you require supports in other areas of your life you may require them for this and you are legally entitled to them. As someone else noted, you may qualify for legal aid.

And while this is an anonymous forum only a couple people here are lawyers and they don’t post often. As we aren’t lawyers, our advice is not sound. Someone could tell you something completely wrong and you would then end up in a worse situation as a result.

When someone says get a lawyer it normally means your case is complicated and too tricky for a bunch of nobodies to provide anything helpful. Duty Counsel at the courthouse is free and depending on your disability, there may be groups in your community that can assist as advocates. There may also be an accessibility support worker at your courthouse who can provide assistance as well. Those would be a good first calls.

In the end, if you were screwed over, you can also report the lawyer to the law society and have them reprimanded professionally.

Good luck!

Comment

Is your ex still out of the country?
                      Is your matter still before the courts or do you have a final order that has dealt with all issues?
                      A divorce can be granted without consent during ongoing litigation if 1) the parties have been separated for a year and 2) a judge orders that the application for a divorce can be separated from the other issues.

If you feel that your rights were harmed in any way the court does have remedies for that and you can bring the issue back to court.

You have the option of being represented by a lawyer or being self represented or hiring a lawyer on an as needed basis as a consultant only or to only prepare certain aspects of your case.

You can also search the website canlii for cases that may be similar to yours,

Sorry this has happened to you. Your case sounds as though it has various layers of complexity and the best person to advise you on how to move forward would be a lawyer ( whether paid or legal aid or duty counsel).

Do you have a trusted friend or relative who could help you review your file to help you understand what happened?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X