No announcement yet.

Boycotting Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol I might be very disappointed on Christmas morning, since we are skipping out on all of our traditions, but this is an easy way to skip the motherinlaw
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

My family of origin never did much about Christmas - it was just this side of completely dysfunctional - and while married, the ex was mainly interested in getting through with all the unnecessary stuff so he could get down to the good part, getting drunk in front of the TV. I used to volunteer in homeless shelters on Xmas Day before D8 was born so I had a reason to get out of the house.

Which is all to say that Christmas doesn't really have a lot of sentimental value for me. I've been working on creating traditions and memories with D8 - we pick out a real Christmas tree from an eco-tree farm and we decorate it, we go to Christmas Eve service at church, we make a new tree ornament every year and try to do a couple of other things. When D8 is older, we may pick up the volunteering again. I have to say though that I am always pretty relieved when Christmas is over. The rampant consumerism and the enforced merriment at a time when so many people are lonely or hurting just doesn't do much for me. I like McDreamy's approach!

Comment

Not if you had a grandma like this.....

Great-gran Doreen Gover gave 28 family members including her pet dog the same Christmas present - a festive jumper she knitted herself.
        Talented Doreen, 78, spent up to eight hours a day making the red festive-themed sweaters - ouf of 25 MILES of wool.
        Doreen picked up her needles in January and set about creating 28 jumpers - all with the same snowman or reindeer-pattern.
        She made the jumpers for three generations of her family - and even knitted one for her Springer Spaniel Cookie.

Source: Doreen Gover: Great-gran knits same Christmas jumper for 28 members of family - Mirror Online

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X