Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting question..common law and child support while living with me.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also agree with NBDad, trying to prove she is unfit is useless. She'd have to be a crackwhore pulling tricks infront of the child with a beer in one hand and a needle in the other for her to lose custody with the position you are going to put yourself in. Plus, it is SUPER expensive and combative.

What is FAR MORE effective is being a dad. Being there for your kid. Journalling all of your involvment from getting the kid up in the morning for day care, feeding, changing diapers, putting to sleep, bathing etc. If you can show the judge (via your journal) that you've been involved as much as possible you are substantially more likely to get a favourable result, instead of trying to sling as much mud as possible, making you look just like the last jaded, aggressive ex that walked through the judges court house and are likely to be treated accordingly.
    I completely agree with this also.

I can tell you from my own experience...my ex got one of those "pitbull lawyers" who tried to prove me unfit. Considering I've done the large majority of the childcare over a long length of time...I don't drink...smoke...eat meat, etc...it was rather ridiculous. The last thing he threw out at court was that I was "obsessed over my appearance and worked out too much"....needless to say...the judge got pretty miffed. And his legal bill is outrageous.

Judges are geared to resolve conflict and encourage people to be good parents...and if you are geared that way too, you have a much better chance of doing well in court. This is becoming more and more true. Judges want to encourage shared parenting situations and if you can prove that you are reasonable...put the needs of your child first...and are solutions-driven, rather than conflict-driven...you will do far better.

Get a better lawyer because what you have right now is one that will drive up issues to drive up his bill. And unless she has some major, severe issues...you're not going to get anywhere this way. You just won't...you're wasting your time.

Find a way to work with her and take care of your child. In the long run, you want your child to have two communicating parents who love and parent their kid. Kids need two parents who aren't at each other's throats. There is no "winning" in divorce, people that think that are ridiculously misguided. The only thing you can be successful in doing is limiting the negative impact that your relationship breakdown has on your child.

Follow the advice on this forum...and whenever you say or do anything...think of your child. It makes things a lot simpler. Put yourself and your anger second and think of what's in his best interest before you do anything.

Comment

Thanks guys, that is a good point. My lawyer said the same thing. You need to show the judge why you are a good dad and why you are asking for nothing to change as you are already involved in his life. My affidavit should only really be about me being the father. I've listed everything possible to show that I have been involved in his life since the day he was born.

As for the attacking the character part, it was in response to her calling the police on me. It was showing me bringing forward evidence showing her errratic behaviour and putting her credibility in check if she was going to try to attack me that way. So in a way, this is a two pronged approach. Tell me if this makes sense. I have one part of it showing I am invovled in his life and waht steps I will do to do the shared parenting. The other part of just attacking her credibilty if she wants to start accusing me of things.
      Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
      I also agree with NBDad, trying to prove she is unfit is useless. She'd have to be a crackwhore pulling tricks infront of the child with a beer in one hand and a needle in the other for her to lose custody with the position you are going to put yourself in. Plus, it is SUPER expensive and combative.

What is FAR MORE effective is being a dad. Being there for your kid. Journalling all of your involvment from getting the kid up in the morning for day care, feeding, changing diapers, putting to sleep, bathing etc. If you can show the judge (via your journal) that you've been involved as much as possible you are substantially more likely to get a favourable result, instead of trying to sling as much mud as possible, making you look just like the last jaded, aggressive ex that walked through the judges court house and are likely to be treated accordingly.

With regards to protecting yourself, well that is easy. A - the digital voice recorder, B - not engaging your ex in any manner (just be patient) and C - have a witness around as much as possible.

Put a lock on a room on the house, move your stuff in there and that is where you live. Be an involved father and let your ex do her thing. She cannot control what you do with the child. Should she leave the house, GREAT. Should she leave the house with the child, you file a motion in court to have the child returned to their familiar residence. She can move where she wants.....but the child needs to stay put until a custody agreement is in place.

Use your head and keep your cool. You will find it to be a much cheaper and more effective way of being a parent and in your kids best interests.

Comment

If you want to attack her credibility, you better have solid evidence to back you up.

You want to know how she will justify calling the police? She will state that she pannicked and was scared you would do something......she won't elaborate, she will just leave it open. When asked why, it she will probably say you raised your voice or moved in an aggressive fashion, and it will be very hard for you to PROVE you didn't. It will be her word vs yours.

Buy a digital voice recorder. Go back to the house. Be a dad. You will go far if you do.

Just know that the recordings are not likely to be used in court as a means of proving her unfit or whatever. It is to be used to prevent you from being convicted of domestic violence. Think of it as a shield and not a sword.

Comment

Good point. I actually have kept a personal voice recorder since last year, as she had attacked me the other time and have her on tape admitting to it etc. My only purpose is to use it as a shield as you said in case she tries to accuse me of anything.

The ultimate plan is just to prove I am a good father etc. I have brought up those "credibility etc character issues" with my lawyer and he said to me, we don't need to go there as things just get more complicated. The focus of your affidavit should only shows you are a competent and a good father to your son. That is all we need to go to court on this. The reason he said to stay away was because of that very reason.

I currently have lots of strong evidence I have been for him, I've journalized, taken pictures, document etc. So for me to go back was to put all that at "risk" if she tried to press charges on me. Then things would just get more complicated and as now my "good character" is in question.

To clarify things, I am not wanting to prove her unfit at all. She is a good mother to my son, she is just not very stable. (aka accused me of abusing my son as a reason for no overnights, apologizes the next day saying she made it up. Calls the police on me then tell mes 2 days later that she needs me to babysit him along with her daughters at my house *hmm if someone assaulted me, i would not have them near my children period. I have all this saved as text.) All I want is to have shared parenting with my son and will present the judge the reasons why I should continue this relationship with him. My son needs us to seperate, it's unhealthy to be in this type of relationship at the end of the day as he'll get older and start to see these patterns.

So you guys think I should go against the advice of my lawyer? My fear is that if I go back and she tries calling the police again, she will "hurt" herself and when we go to court for a parenting order, I now have an "assault charge" and anythign I've done as a good dad would be put into question now.
          Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
          If you want to attack her credibility, you better have solid evidence to back you up.

You want to know how she will justify calling the police? She will state that she pannicked and was scared you would do something......she won't elaborate, she will just leave it open. When asked why, it she will probably say you raised your voice or moved in an aggressive fashion, and it will be very hard for you to PROVE you didn't. It will be her word vs yours.

Buy a digital voice recorder. Go back to the house. Be a dad. You will go far if you do.

Just know that the recordings are not likely to be used in court as a means of proving her unfit or whatever. It is to be used to prevent you from being convicted of domestic violence. Think of it as a shield and not a sword.

Comment

She is a good mother to my son, she is just not very stable when it comes to making decisions.
            Concentrate on your own behavior only. Unless she's doing something outrageous or dangerous...how she parents is truly none of your business. There are a million parenting styles and its also a learned skill. Its foolish to believe you have any control over her or how she does things...you don't...you can only control yourself.

So you guys think I should go against the advice of my lawyer? My fear is that if I go back and she tries calling the police again, she will "hurt" herself and when we go to court for a parenting order, I now have an "assault charge" and anythign I've done as a good dad would be put into question now.
            I think there is a legitimate worry in false charges potentially being trumped up against you and I would take the advice of the people on this forum to try to mitigate that...ie, voice recorder, separating yourself in the house, keeping people around that are witnesses, etc. I lived in the same house with my ex for over a year and a half post separation and I can tell you its a very very trying time. And I am not the type to pull nonsense like calling the police in order to gain tactical advantage...so by all means, protect yourself as much as possible. But you have to be in the house in order not to lose status quo.

Remember, lawyers are fallible. They make mistakes alllllll the time. We treat them like they know everything when in reality you should deal with them with a healthy dose of skepticism. If your lawyer was a plumber would you believe everything he said or question things and wonder whether or not he was jacking up the price? You should set the tone of how your divorce is handled...and in my opinion, handling it with a level-headed, fair manner is going to work out for you far better in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2008 View Post
              Being that I work at a law firm, I resist the urge to say "go against the advice" of your lawyer. IMO, call your lawyer and discuss moving back in. State that you wear a voice recorder and will ensure that you won't engage your ex in any way. See what they say. He will for sure say there is risk that she will hurt herself and try to pin it on you. But that is where your voice recorder comes in, where you can say it was on all night and at no point did you even so much as engage the ex in an argument let alone assault her.

Also, have people over AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Invite your parents/siblings over dinner regularly. Have a buddy or 2 over. Involve them with the child a bit, excuse yourself to get the child ready for bed etc., and then hang with them and watch the hockey game or whatever. Just be sure that they know your focus will be your child, and that should your ex confront them at any point, for them to come to you so you can calmly advise her to stop harrassing your guests.

It is about maximizing your involvement with your child. Being away from the house limits that involvement. Your ex is establishing "status quo" with each day that goes by. Meaning, she is the primary parent and you are just someone who pops by once and a while. Plus, you are at her mercy for when she "allows" you time with your kid.

Moving back in does have the risk she may call the cops again. You just do your best to protect yourself. If you let her know that you are recording 100% of the time in the house, she will probably argue that it is against the law, against her expectation of privacy etc and unethical.....you simply reply in a calm business like manner that due to her previous actions you need to take all reasonable precautions to protect your interests.

Chances are if you move back in, she moves out within 3-4 weeks. Just be sure that should do that, the child stays put. She will probably threaten it over and over. Just calmly state that she is free to move and that you will facilitate her moving in way she should require. However, you do not agree or consent to removing the child from the matrimonial home. Don't tip your hand too much and definitely don't make it sound like a threat. Just be calm and say she can leave all she wants, the child has to stay put though.

Comment

I have to say, you guys are awesome. I can't believe how helpful everyone is on here. I think you are right, I am currently living with my brother in law, my sister left for vacation with the kids so it's actually just me and him. So basically, what I should be doing then is having him come live with me for the next week or so. So she won't try anything fishy as the saying goes as well have my voice recorder on at all times.

Then in the interim, have my lawyer file for an exclusive possession to have her removed. I'm in Alberta and we are common law.

Comment

Having someone else there is good safety ... but it can also create a lot of instability and hostility. This is bad for everyone, including your son. She is going to feel outnumbered and crowded. So, tread carefully here. Another tactic is just to minimize the amount of time you spend in yoor house ... take your son out for walks, to the Y, to friends' places, to the grocery store, on errands, to the library. This also makes you more visible as parent in the community ... some of these people may be willing to write affidavits on what a wonderful father you are.

Comment

The reason people are telling to go get back into the house is all about status quo.

Right now, you have automatic shared parenting with your son. You have been there, living with him, and done approximately half the parenting. Good job!

Now, you are out of the house, and only doing what parenting she 'permits' due to the threat of her making false allegations of domestic abuse. No, it's not right that she's doing it, but it's awfully hard to stop. Until you and she come up with a separation agreement that gets her out of your house and sets up shared parenting, you're going to be a minor player in your son's life.

Say you keep trying to do the right thing, do mediation, get lawyers, whatever, and after a year of more of this, you get fed up and end up in court despite your best efforts. Then the court process takes another year. By this time, your son is three and barely knows you as he's only seen you on whatever occasion your ex 'permittted,' and your ex has been living rent free in your house the whole time. The judge won't look at you and see that you were a good father for the first year, and that she took that access away and so she's evil. A judge will look after the best interests of the child, and that is to have stability, so while the judge will finally get your ex out of your house, he isn't going to order that a child spend half his time living with a near-stranger. He's going to go with the status quo that has been established, no matter how it developed.

So as has been said, here are the steps you need to take. And during all this, you can't assume she'll be reasonable. She's already proved she's not. But YOU have to keep being reasonable.

Give her reasonable notice that you will be moving back into the house and she should make plans to move out. Unlike in a marriage, she does not have any entitlement to the home's value, or to continue to live in it. Be clear that when she moves out, you will be keeping your son half the time.

Close down any joint accounts - get rid of any access she has to your money or credit.

Make the house less hospitable to her - get rid of cable, internet, phone, no more groceries she likes, etc. You can't turn off the essentials like the heat, but other than that, be thorough.

Communicate only in writing. Email is best. Be polite and respectful, but firm. Don't engage on any irrelevant issues, or get involved in arguments. This gives you a record that you may need in court.

Make your selfish version of a separation agreement. There are lots of templates around you can use; on this forum, elsewhere on the internet, an appendix in the book Surviving your Divorce, CD-ROM kits from Staples, etc. Do a lot of research to find out what is reasonable for your situation; don't offer her too much at the start! This is where you put in your desire for 50-50 shared parenting and suggest a schedule. Put in minimal spousal support, if you feel it's warranted, to begin when she moves out, with a firm end date proportional to the length of your relationship. Put in table child support, to begin when she moves out (or right away, in part, if it's a lot more than half the house expenses). Present it to her as a starting point for negotiation.

If she offers you time with your son, TAKE IT. Never turn it down, even if it inconveniences you. He's your priority! Bring a neutral third party with you for the exchange and have your recorder running so she behaves herself and can't accuse you of anything later. Once she's gone, you can do whatever you like with your son. You don't have to stay in the house or anything. Also, make suggestions and requests for more time, such as you resuming looking after him while she is working. Be insistent.

As for the breastfeeding, she can pump milk for you to give him, or you can give him formula, or even whole milk soon at his age. What she does with her breasts while you have him is up to her. What you feed your son when she's not around is not up to her, except if she does pump milk for you, you should probably use it as it's best for the child. Breastfeeding is not the valid argument it would have been when he was a newborn.

But not living in the same home as your son sets her up for having full custody when it comes time for court. That's the main reason to move back ASAP. Your lawyer probably subscribes to the old theory that men don't need to be full-time dads and doesn't care about you ending up with 50-50. He cares more about keeping you out of jail from false domestic abuse allegations, which your digital recorder and everyone's suggestions can do.

Comment

Once again, thank you for all the advice you guys have given me. I now have a clearer head on what to do on my side. I did have the idea of how damaging "status quo" can naively I thought k I'll just move out for a week to let things cool down and we can have her evicted out within a week.

Well reality is that no she's not really going to go, she's been wanting to "leave" for the past 4 months and I've told her it's over however, she's all over the place and action speaks louder than words. At any rate, I'll take everyone's advice and protect myself with a PVR and at the same time be there for my son.

Yeah, I have told her our relationship is over and she needs to move out. To which she says she needs to move out but then doesn't really actually try to but complains on how I don't love her anymore blah blah. Throughout the course of one day she will switch position twice or more based upon how she feels. In the morning she would say, cause I don't like your family they will never see him ever. Then later throughout the day say when is your mom coming over to babysit my son cause I have to work. WTF. I have all these saved as text. Would I judge even look at that as flaky behaviour? I'm not going to use it or anything unless I have to defend myself from any accusations she makes. I just want to make my case that I am his father and have equal time to him and not on her terms. He is not property to hustle around.

So basically, a modification to my lawyer's advice is move back in but still go forward with getting her evicted correct?

Comment

Her texts and stuff about "when is your mom coming over to babysit" will be irrelevent for anything other then establishing her schedule. All it will show is that she works at X time, and you are available to care for the child.

People are flaky. The fact that she is, given the status of your relationship etc, isn't a news flash to anyone. Judges don't care about flaky. They care about the best interests of the child. And because she isn't a danger to the child and otherwise a good parent, going down that road will probably just cost you more money in than you need to spend.

But using it as "she is at work, I am home and can care the child" is a substantially more effective argument. Just know that Rights of First Refusal generally do not cover employment.

Or, should she ever state that she fears your family or makes false accusations against your mom, you can use the texts to discredit her.

If she is flaky, let her show the judge she is flaky. You need to put forward solid parenting plans and show how you are an involved parent and how you plan on facilitating your ex's relationship with the child and you will be miles ahead of her when it comes to how a judge perceives you. Make reasonable offers for parenting, but be firm on 50/50 as it is in the child's best interests to have solid relationships with both parents. You can offer Friday-Friday schedule, or 2-2-3 or 3-3-2 or whatever 50/50 parenting schedule you want...but show you are willing to negotiate... just not on the amount of parenting time...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2008 View Post
                          So basically, a modification to my lawyer's advice is move back in but still go forward with getting her evicted correct?
                          Gently evicting her yes. This is the mother of your child and you want what is best for your kid. Give her plenty of time to get a new place, but make sure she knows that the there is a deadline and after that, she is out....

Comment

Another thing: this is about sole vs joint custody i.e. who gets to make decisions regarding major health, education, religion, residence.

Judges are hesitant to order joint custody when there is a high level of conflict between spouses. So, your job will be to ensure that she has no ammunition in this regard. It is SOO EASY for one person to manufactur conflict, then claim it as a reason that they should get sole custody.

Do not get into any conflict/argument regarding care of the child unless you believe that
                            - you MUST act to prevent gross harm
                            or
                            - you believe you can manage the situation to your advantage i.e. it is something you can somehow turn into an example of how well you CAN cooperate

Keep your eyes open for examples where your ex is acting out of pure hate/anger/entitlement, and is not acting in best interest of child on some *significant* issue. But get independent advice before using this in court, since YOU are not the best judge of this at the moment.

Lay low, be easy. Kids are resilient in many things, acknowledge that her way and your way might be very different, but both are OK - but stand firm on the matter of your time with your son.

Comment

So what would be your examples that I would keep track off. She tends to threaten MD aces eveeytime we argue or she sees fit. Also. As mentioned I have been there for him since day 1. Outside of my lawyer saying I have a good chance of shared parenting at 11trying months..you guys agree? I love this forum!!!

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                              Keep your eyes open for examples where your ex is acting out of pure hate/anger/entitlement, and is not acting in best interest of child on some *significant* issue. But get independent advice before using this in court, since YOU are not the best judge of this at the moment.

Lay low, be easy. Kids are resilient in many things, acknowledge that her way and your way might be very different, but both are OK - but stand firm on the matter of your time with your son.

Comment

Have a scan through this forum for a sample of what arguments people get into.

At this stage, the biggies are the equalization of assets/debts, CS, and access schedule and daycare. But those should NOT be discussed face to face in the home. Do NOT get into any arguments on these ... use instead formal negotiating communications (emails/letters, with or without lawyers)

At 11mo, I can't see much to get riled about, unless some significant health problem arises.

Most commonly at this age, this is what I read about:
                                - leaving the child in someone else's care when you are available
                                - childcare while working (where? cost? what days?)
                                - childcare vs stay-home i.e. socialization vs parent-bonding time (FYI 'socialization' is a joke before age 2-3!)
                                - presence of new (unknown!) partners
                                - multiple / short-term partners
                                - smoking/drinking/drug use around the child
                                - vehicle safety (tires, carseats)
                                - strange dietary requirements
                                - failure to follow through on agreed access schedule, or last minute changes, expecting other parent to be last minute babysitter, or expecting parent to cover when access is inconvenient to you
                                - failure to handover for scheduled access when child is 'too sick', or weather is 'too bad'
                                - safe foods (choking hazards)
                                - failure to communicate clearly any health issues, doctor's reports (even minor illnesses, like 1 day of diarrhea or fever),
                                - failure to coordinate to ensure some consistency regarding schedule e.g. naps, feeding.
                                - who takes the child to doctor for regular checkups (a parent might insist on doing it, OR claim that it is too much hassle and keep delaying it)
                                - choice of doctor/pediatrician
                                - sleeping arrangements, co-sleeping

UNLESS YOU SEE A SERIOUS, PROVABLE RISK to your child ... relax. Or, at most, write a polite respectful email describing the problem you are seeing, how it affects your child, and your suggested solution - then leave it alone.

The idea is to paint a picture of you as a calm, respectful, informed, loving father to contrast with her behaviour (whatever crazies she might come up with).

This is going to be a challenge, because the court process is SOOO GLACIALLY SLOOOOW that you have a good chance of becoming consumed with frustration (which can easily lead to anger).
                                Last edited by dinkyface; 01-23-2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X