Feeling Sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling Sad

This is more of a vent and self pitty post but I know a few of you can relate. We had my stepkids this weekend, S9 and D6. The weekend was great! We had a lot of fun. Today when the kids got dressed to go back to mom's I saw the shoes S9 was wearing. The soles were half off on both the shoes and he had holes in them where his socks were sticking out.

I asked him what he did to his shoes, thinking he did it this weekend as they were running around playing with cousins all weekend. He said they have been like that for a while but mom told him they would last him long enough until he could wear sandals every day. The clothes he changed back into for moms place we're all ripped, his shirt had a big rip in the shoulder.

I get sometimes parents send old clothes with the kids when they go to the other parents house and I guess this wouldn't bug me so much if it wasn't for my fiancé's brother pointing out tonight how well we dress the kids compared to what he sees them in on a weekly basis.

We don't buy the kids expensive clothing, mostly Walmart and I will hit up the children's place when they have good sales, but we try to make sure they are at least presentable. S9 said to me today he couldn't wait for summer when he gets to spend his weeks with us.

When we dropped him off tonight he didn't want to get out of the car. His eyes filled with tears and he just looked at me. I hugged him and said we would see him in a couple weeks and he went with his dad up to the house.

Now this is all normal stuff but the biggest thing that gets to me is how put together D6 is. She always has nice clothes, new shoes, fancy hair, etc. A beautiful little girl. I can't help but feel like mom pays more attention to her than S9. They both have made comments about S9 being ganged up on because he is the only boy and D6 laughs about it. S9 is a sensitive kid and you can see this bugs him.

I guess I just don't know what to do for him. When they are with us, they both abide by the same rules and are treated the same. I don't want to see the sadness or hurt in his eyes anymore. Makes me so sad...

You can't do much as how the other parent treats the kid in his/her time is outside of your control. And you shouldn't even attempt to do something about that.

In your time be better than the other parent. Kids are not stupid.

Comment

Except I dont think Berner is even the othervparent. Correct me if I'm wrong Berner. The grandmother I believe.

Comment

Step parent LF32. And no we don't even attempt to control what she does on her time. It just makes me sad that he has to go through what he is going through.

I know there is nothing we can do, she is going to do what she wants to do but the whole situation is sad, especially when people from the outside notice

Comment

Do you think you could buy him a pair of shoes and send over with him?

Comment

Originally posted by The Iceberg View Post
            Do you think you could buy him a pair of shoes and send over with him?
            Of course we didn't send him home in those shoes. He took the ones we just bought him last month home. On top of the monthly CS we pay, we also fully clothe the kids at our house. We shouldn't have to clothe them at Mom's too.

I guess where do you draw the line? A portion of CS is to go towards clothing, yet things like winter wear we must buy and provide. He went half of this past winter without snow pants at his Mom's house before we found out. Once we did we sent his snow pants home... guess what... the next weekend they came he didn't bring his snow pants with him. Mom said she forgot to pack them, so again, we bought new snow pants. Its an endless cycle.

The kids catch on, they know. They make little comments about it and S9 is so appreciative every time he gets new clothing. I just try to remember that not everyone parents the same and she parents how she thinks is best. That still doesn't stop my sad feelings.

Comment

You guys do what you can and when you see fit. He gets it and he will remember. You cant force her to change (not that she will anyway). Your fiance is a good dad and you guys cant fix this. What youre doing is great. Keep giving that boy all the love and emotional support you can and he will flourish.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X