Acceptable personal service methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL
    After reading this thread I am worse off than when I started.
    I now have no idea what is legal (right) and what is not when it comes to serving documents in Ontario or British Columbia and I suppose this thread will never answer that. Disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
      Your best bet if you absolutely cannot get a lawyer throughout the process, is to at the very least have a lawyer review your agreement before signing to ensure it is I'm your best interest and you are protected.
      I don't understand how is a court going to sign off on child support not changing. That is some legal eagle stuff there so the guy absolutely needs a lawyer at least on a limited retainer or a legal eagle.
      Yes, they get their pension and that covers support but......oh, off topic.

the text said she would agree to my terms and she would sign over all her parental rights and also leave my pensions alone if the monthly child support amount does not change

Comment

I am going to get these orders and issues dealt with and then after they are done with, I will start the separation agreement details that we can agree on and go to a lawyer to have him go over it and discuss it with me and then discuss the issues with the ex that have to be changed and hopefully the steps I need to take and the changes i need to make for the agreement can be set in stone and file the final divorce papers….probably a few $$$ and a year away.

One slow step at a time…..and hopefully a lenient helpful provincial family court judge…the judges there seem to be patient for helping you through the system without a lawyer….so far.

Comment

Today the ex did not show for court, judge said she has 14 days to file financial forms, and Judge will do up a court order for me to be able to get a passport and let her travel with or without me out of country without any sort of consent from the mother….I have to wait 30 days for a reply from the other court order and then make a court date for that one(updated child support amount).

Seemed pretty smooth so far.

Comment

Congratulations, I'm glad it went well for you!

Comment

I threw in both issues on both applications in the notes just in case she would take care of it all in the first case, I assumed the enforcing of the order for not producing her financial info since 2016 would only be looked at but we talked about both applications thankfully she took care of the passport stuff as she probably knew it was somewhat urgent.
              I had an unfortunate response from the ex a couple days after the court appearance, she went ballistic saying she could not afford any more payments as she is barely making it by right now and she would jump off a bridge if she was pushed any further financially…also wrote suicidal texts to my daughter during school saying goodbye, I can’t live like this any longer etc…I won’t get into it…anyhow 911 was called…they checked on her and could not share any info about her with us…no communication since.

So I was not wanting this result of course…I don’t think anyone would. Is there a way to just ask the judge to go through with everything but delay the child support change until say Jan-1-2023 so that she has time to re-arrange her lifestyle or am I just being naive or something…I have never heard her say anything about suicide before. Would a judge agree to my request or allow alternate financial arrangements in lieu…or should I just go ahead and call her bluff? My 14 yr old is stressed, I can tell…and I would feel absolutely aweful if she took her life. I also feel like I am being played….so confusing.

Any suggestions from someone that has gone through these experiences greatly appreciated.

Comment

Passport Canada was happy with the provincial court order, I received the child’s passport and the order also states she can travel with anyone anywhere without the mother’s permission.
                Just one more court date next week to deal with imputing a higher income and a fine for not providing financial information. Is there a set fine the judge usually does?

Comment

If the situation were reversed and it was a man the court would have no sympathy and I have little for your ex. She sounds like someone who has avoided responsibility and now that she is faced with it, she is looking for a way out (by threats not actual suicide). Personally I don’t think she will do it and if necessary you can call 911. Just keep moving forward and take care of the kids.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X