No announcement yet.

When to Apply for CCB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been a number of posts on this and how your agreement has to be worded. A search will help you answer this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
      Agreement is silent on CCB as CRA is not bound by any separation agreements or court orders. I guess I can just apply when I feel I should be receiving CCB and see what outcome is

You have to have certain wording to be eligible in an offset situation. So while you apply, it might be denied to your ex and then denied to you both which would create a bigger mess. Do a search on it in this forum to understand what you need to have in place otherwise you will create more grief for yourself. Having a “silent” agreement means nothing. You tun the risk of losing the benefit entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes your original question was when can you apply but before you apply you must be sure that you can actually get it in a shared custody situation. You have to be eligible and that includes having proper wording regarding finances.

Your lawyer is an expert in family law, they are not an expert in CRA procedures or an accountant and as many other posters have found on here, they have to battle CRA to get the benefit even when their agreements are "silent" on it. Your lawyer could tell you the sky is actually pink and you have the best case ever but that doesn't make them right. Most agreements are silent because most lawyers are lazy and use a template for agreements rather than doing some actual legwork on CRA expectations for parents who share custody. For the longest time only one parent received the tax benefits and that has changed in the last few years and now parents who are suddenly eligible are being declined or they are losing their benefits because a) nothing is in an agreement and b) they battle over it and CRA says screw you both.

So if you want to be eligible to apply for it WHEN the right time comes along, you should do some research on how you go about being eligible and the first step would be a deep dive in the financial forums, a search of CCB and a search of CRA. There was an excellent, knowledgeable poster on here who laid it out clearly to be eligible. I can't remember who that was and it's been a few months but it's here for you to find.

There's also the CRA site: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...you-apply.html which has a brief mention of shared custody arrangements.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X