Access or parenting time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access or parenting time?

Is there a difference between having a court order that describes what my ex has as "access" as opposed to one that describes it as "parenting time"?

I currently have it described as access. I am moving (I am allowed to) to a province that now refers to it as parenting time. Being proactive, and should the order be modified in my new location, is there any downside for me to have it changed over to parenting time? I think I was told when the order was made that it being access was beneficial to me, but I don't remember the reasoning.
    Thanks

The old language is access and custody.
    New language is parenting time and decision making.
    It is the same darn thing according to this layman.
    You will need cause for a change unless your ex agrees.

I suppose you are looking to sneak in some technicality?
    What would you like that is more and where did you move from/to?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/parentin...ty-and-contact

Comment

Originally posted by JustQ View Post
      Is there a difference between having a court order that describes what my ex has as "access" as opposed to one that describes it as "parenting time"?

I currently have it described as access. I am moving (I am allowed to) to a province that now refers to it as parenting time. Being proactive, and should the order be modified in my new location, is there any downside for me to have it changed over to parenting time? I think I was told when the order was made that it being access was beneficial to me, but I don't remember the reasoning.
      Thanks
      If there is no change to anything with the exception of your address, it would be fine to simply update the court with your new address and leave it at that. If there are other changes being made with respect to scheduling for parenting time etc, I would update to current terminology at the same time. There is no difference in the meaning, access is still sometimes used when there is a matter of child protection.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
        The old language is access and custody.
        New language is parenting time and decision making.
        It is the same darn thing according to this layman.
        You will need cause for a change unless your ex agrees.

I am not looking to change it, just looking to see if it's maybe better to keep the order in the province where it was originally, and called "access", or change it to the new province and have it called "parenting time" So my interest if the two are interpreted differently under the law.

I suppose you are looking to sneak in some technicality?

No, definitely not.

What would you like that is more and where did you move from/to?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/parentin...ty-and-contact
        Thanks for the link. I had a look through it.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
          If there is no change to anything with the exception of your address, it would be fine to simply update the court with your new address and leave it at that. If there are other changes being made with respect to scheduling for parenting time etc, I would update to current terminology at the same time. There is no difference in the meaning, access is still sometimes used when there is a matter of child protection.
          My interest is really would "parenting time" somehow carry less weight than "access" if before the court or before law enforcement.

There is no issue at present, but I think I remembering hearing or reading somewhere that somehow "access" carries less weight. Would like to confirm or get some opinions should the need come up to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
            Its just updated language to less adversary terms. Instead of someone "having access to a child" you say "this is their parenting time". Instead of someone saying "I have sole custody" they say "I have sole decision-making responsibility".

Access is now referred to as parenting time.
            Custody is now referred to as decision-making responsibility.

Language has changed to more easy-going terminology but the purpose/intent remains the same
            Thanks. Not sure that "easy going" and "Family Court" in the same topic is not an oxymoron though.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X