This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of this?

I have been alienated from my child for 3 years. I'm fighting for a relationship with him, but I have no support from the courts. It seems that ex can do pretty much whatever she wants and I have no recourse.

I feel there is some major PAS going on. I wanted to run by this group one of the small and subtle things she has done recently.

I was able to see my son one recent sunday for a few hours. These visits are rare, but occasionally she allows it even though the court order demands it. So she sends our child in with a game she made up herself, handwritten by her. My son wants me to play the game with him and I take out the paper she has written up to start playing with him. He loves Judge Judy and he likes to dress up like a judge and sentence people to the charges laid against them. Those charges and the people ( family and friends) are what is written up on the paper, by ex. So I start to read this paper and notice that she has a charge written up for me on it. Smoking in Public. It says " Daddy is charged with smoking in Public". She has other family members there as well. Uncle Bob is charged with littering and Aunt Susan is charged with Jay Walking.

So here's the signifigance of what she has written up for my charge. Our son is repulsed and hates...absolutely hates, smokers. He will say it to people on the street and he is VERY opinionated about smokers. He is in grade 2.

I knew right away what she was trying to do by putting that in the game for him to play. But I had no idea that it would work so well for her. Here's what I mean:

The mediator involved recently suggested to ex that I come to her house to pick up our son and take him out instead of what has been happening all along ( due to ex's insistance) which is her dropping our son off at a family members house for our visits. Yesterday was the first time that we tried this. I showed up at her house and she brought our son to my car and forced her way into the backseat to get him strapped in ( apparently she thinks I'm not capable of doing this! ) and my child immediately said " why does your car smell like smoke?" I told him that it didn't and I just didn't know why he would say that because I dont' smoke and no one has ever smoked in my car. Ex had this &%#$%! dirty grin on her face when she heard him say this.

I proceeded to drive away with my child in the backseat and he started asking me if I smoked. I told him no again. I asked him why he asked me that when he knows that daddy doesn't smoke. He couldn't answer me.

We had a couple of hours together and I returned him to his mothers. When I brought him to the door his mother asked him if he had fun and he said yes, but that he would not go with me again because my car smells like smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go. So I need some opinions here. This is the kind of thing she's been doing for a long time. It's all this subtle stuff which I believe is parental alienation. Intentional PA. I would love some feedback. Keep in mind that I do not smoke and my car DOES NOT smell like smoke. How did this child come to believe that he smelled smoke in my car?

Feedback?

Sweetheart, you are in the same boat we are in.
    Anything the ex says becomes etched in stone, and be dammed if we spend the next x months/years disproving it.

We have been denied access for the last 2 years, because the ex felt the child was afraid of me, the new woman. I don't know why she would suddenly say the horrible things she has said, because I have "NEVER" done anything remotely like what she purportedly claims to the ex after access.

Despite our many attempts at getting a conviction of contempt of a court order she only ever comes out with a virtual slap on the wrist.

This IS PAS, but will only get worse, unfortunately unless you can get the ex to agree to extensive, (and expensive) psychological therapy, this is only going to get worse, then you will be where we are, the tests, and counselling and psychological assessments all prove the same thing there is nothing we did or said to make the child act the way she does. But the mother still refuses and tells the court she fears for the child's "Best interests" blah, blah, blah. My advice, is to record, record, record!!!!

Unfortunately only time will help you, but time is against the son and will permanent damage him emotionally. This is obviously learned behaviour.
    Keep a diary of events and what was said and in what context as you did in this post.
    But you may have something should this need to be taken before the courts to stop further emotional distress for the son. The ex kind of cut her own throat, had she not sent the game it would be he said she said for speculation as to why the son said what he did given that you don’t smoke. But the game is the nail in the preverbal coffin as this establishes that the mother has an agenda, and is facilitating it through the child, and voila PAS.

Comment

First... what a mess. I feel sorry for you and your son.

Second, what a bizarre game. Why is an 8 year old watching Judge Judy? But... each to their own I guess. What did you ex write up about herself? "Mom charged with PAS"? Seriously, what did the ex write for her charge?

hmm... sorry, still can't get my head around this "game"...

My ex feeds all kinds of interesting "information" to my child. If I address the issue with my child, they get the "deer-in-the-headlights" look and may begin to cry. So I'm stuck between a rock and hard place.

What you ex is doing is intentional. And FL is right... courts with do NOTHING to help you. And it will take years and years of evidence to support your case. But document everything.

I assume talking to your ex does nothing. I would though, let her know. And be very frank about it. Not mad. But direct. No sense simply rolling over on the issues.

My ex plays all kinds of subtle games too (and some not-so-subtle). She is very slick in controlling the child; gets her damage done while making you look the fool. Brilliant.

Sorry... I have no great advice. Time will tell and just keep loving your child. Kids are kids only for so long... the problem is you don't want screwed up adult.

Comment

Wow...
        And I thought I had it bad... I really feel for you.
        The only thing I can think of is "killing it with kindness"...
        When your child sees you being genuinely nice to your ex, he may decide that he disaproves of his mother's behaviour. It is amazing how insightful children can be.
        I had a real hard time not speaking ill of my child's mother to him, but even though it was hard, I knew it made no sense to dis his mom to him...He will figure her out one day.
        Another suggestion is to get some reference material on the subject that documents how harmful PA can be, then keep e-mailing her excerpts!
        Or photocopies in her mailbox...maybe if she reads what experts say, it will guilt her into changing her ways...?
        a shot in the dark I know, but worth a try perhaps...
        stay strong,
        peace.

Comment

gooddadgoingmad,

That is sad situation and does question the other parent's ability to parent the child effectively. To counter this type of conduct and to learn techniques to deal with such; I recommend the book called:

DIVORCE POISON
          DR. RICHARD A. WARSHAK

http://www.divorcepoison.com/

http://www.amazon.ca/Divorce-Poison-...8423882&sr=8-1

This books offers techniques to deal with vindictive ex spouses in their campaign to consistently bash your character to the child.

excellent reading and advice on situations such as what you have posted.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X