More Delays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Delays?

Motion for CS, S7’s and arrears is scheduled for Monday.

The Respondent never responded to my motion material, formally or informally. I emailed my offer to settle and the confirmation as well, and haven’t heard a single thing.

If he just doesn’t show on Monday I have a pretty good idea of how things go. But given his track record of showing up for conferences/our first appearance without filing any material/responses, I’m guessing this is the road we’re heading down next week as well.

How does this type of behaviour/lack of preparedness compare between conferences and motions? In the past it seems the judge hands out adjournments like candy, and is not interested in costs orders because I am self representing. Is this the case in motions, or do judges come down a little harder on unprepared litigants? Should I expect an adjournment or will the judge still consider my issues and possibly make an order?

It really comes down to the judge. Is the other party also self-rep? If they have a lawyer the Judge will be more inclined to allow adjournments out of professional courtesy. Most Judges also prefer to defer Costs for self rep to Trial.

Frustrating, I know. But it is better to go in with realistic, low expectations so if the Judge actually makes a reasonable decision you will be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed again.

Comment

Respondent did have a lawyer but she removed herself as counsel a few months back.

I’ve learned that judges only like to deal with one issue at a time anyways, so even if it doesn’t get adjourned I only expect one thing to get settled.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X